Need Help Removing Sink Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove (well either replace or clean extra well) my sink overflow as it stinks most of the time. Can anyone advise how to remove it from the sink body.

I am obviously able to remove the drain end quite easily but can't figure out how its attached to the sink.

I am also working with tight clearances as the dishwasher is the thing to the right.

Attached

OverflowSink.jpg

Sponsored Links
The image isn't attached - instead there's just an advert.

Sorry about that...The server I put the picture on must have blocked it. Hopefully it is fixed and you see it now.

Yup - I can see it now.

It all looks reeeeasonably recent though - I'm surprised that it's smelly.

Amyway, you remove the overflow from the sink by undoing a small screw that clamps it on - put the plub in the sink first.

If you want to remove it from the trap by unscrewing the white plastic ring - be careful not to lose or damage the rubber sealing ring.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
It all looks reeeeasonably recent though - I'm surprised that it's smelly.
It is less then a year. I am trying to narrow down where the smell is coming from though. The trap is spotless so it isn't the drain (in fact the drain smells fine while the overflow can stink). The only other possible culprit is the also nearly new dishwasher hose. I have used dishwasher cleaner to try to address that side of it.

I suspect (and of course am probably wrong) that if it was the dishwasher drain tube (thats the slightly grey one) that I would also smell the sinkiness from the drain, not just the overflow.

I`d leave overflow as is and sqiurt bleach down it and get a dishwasher cleaner asap ;)

Also, you should get a Jubillee clip onto that diswasher hose before the day that it loses its restitution and slides off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back