need HELP with color ideas!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP! I have anquished long enough about this problem and need your help. My carpeting is mauve'ish pink.....can't replace it because it is too new and was in our home when we bought it. My furniture is a celedon green, walls country white......curtains are a cream, accessories are gold and black. My decorating 'style' is modern, eclectic. The pinkish carpeting is bothering me because nothing else in the room is pink so I am wanting to paint the walls not pink but a color that will coordinate and am unsure what color to paint. A lady at a furniture store said not to worry......the carpeting can 'stand on its own'......but I guess I am from the 'old school' because I feel like I need to tie it together with something. I thought of pillows with some of the mauve in a geometric pattern to bring some of the mauve in but just not sure. Eventually I intend to either recarpet in a neutral or go to hardwood with area rug....but for now I am stuck with my current color carpet. Because I am going for the modern style I do not want to have pattern curtains I think it would be too much. The area is too big for an area rug in a neutral color now do to my room arrangement......it would cost me an arm and leg. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I think this is going to be a truely subjective choice. I confess that your current scheme wouldn't be my "cup of tea" but then who I am to say.

Why did you buy green furniture? Hadn't you heard the old adage, "Red and Green should never be seen"

Have you tried looking at one of those "colour wheels"? They are a circle that has all the colours of the rainbow on it. What you do is decide your style, then find colour A (possibly your carpet). Then whatever colour is opposite it is contrasting, for example.

Another thing to bear in mind is that decorating tastes vary not just according to person but also location. What might be regarded as modern eclectic in London is very different to what is held in the same regard elsewhere in the country. My experience of US houses is that the decorating style is very different to here in the UK, so what one of us might suggest as looking great, you might think "Yuck!" and vice versa.

An example of this: I used to live in the middle of a big Lebanese community, and noticed that my neighbours had a lot of furniture in gloss black and metallic gold. I thought they were just peculiar but when I saw more flats, people moving in and out and furniture shops I realised this was the style. I thought it looked gawdy and cheap, other people obviously thought it looked great!

Sponsored Links
What's underneath the carpet?....any chance there may be timber floorboards you could rejuvenate?..

Whip the carpet out of it....& get a nice cheap lino or something...

Stay away from pink, your scheme of green, cream, black gold etc. is enough........pink would be an overkill....

Buy a book on feng shui... & good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back