Need help with finding a nice rolling toolbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i have been looking for a while. The problem i have is that most are well over priced as you guys im sure would agree

I find some but have rubbish build quality and have recently realised how good and robust the black and decker toolboxes are.

Sadly I missed out on a B&Q deal where they had these

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1231679954327&isSearch=true

Very decent price for what you get.

They only this one but it is around 3 times more expensive
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1231718437375&isSearch=true

Can anyone help with a tool box around 25 squids with similar features i.e. rolling work shop style with small compartment sections, organiser, tough build quality and overall very good capacity

Thanks

Sponsored Links
All I know , is this equation.
plastic tool box+van+speed = plastic tool box bits.

but I guess theyre ok for mincing around, assuming youve got no self respect. :oops: :LOL:

Car Mechanics (January 2009) tested a Stanley 1-93-968 Mobile Work Centre at £34.44 (their best buy), and the similar Halfords Mobile Work Centre at £29.99 and thought they were both good.

Not for me, I'm afraid. I can't see the point of these things. I think you'd only end up having to replace it with decent tool boxes or carriers that don't fall apart.

Sponsored Links
I use one of these purely for my Automotive tools. Its really easy to move around and everything goes back in place. I wouldn't use it with my other hand tools however as they are just too cumbersome. I use a tool roll and small tool bag to carry most used tools.

Hi guys, some great bits of advice there. Im not actually a tradesperson, just a DIYer whose tool box mostly stairs at home. I actually thought these would have been quite tough but of course you guys would know more than me from experience. I suppose my budget isnt the best in the world but if push come to shuv i could possibly raise my budget to around 40 squids but I do need something like the Black and Decker or these Stanley mobile work stations with built quality good enough (not the best). I dont use my toolbox day in day out, its for the odd occation but the problem i have now is i have lots of tools but no storage as the only toolbox i had, the latch has broken.

help guysees ;)

Posting the info about the Veto range was really just to raise your game a bit but if you are hapy with what you have seen then go for it.

Just bear in mind that your current tool carrier has a broken latch and needs replacing, I don't know how long you have had it or how much you paid for it but you can see where I am going..........

This gets good reviews, don't own one myself but Irwin stuff seems durable

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_IRW10503817_10503817_Irwin26inStructualFoamToolbox.htm

Bilioustrumpstaine, yea i had a look at them, problem is they are toolbags, which I have considered but thought they wont really suite my requirements. I was after something with storage for tools and also small compartments for bits and bobs such as various clips, plugs, connectors etc.

The current toolbox in all fairness only cost me around 3-4 quid to be honest but strangely enough had lasted me approx 4 years now lol, o and the way the latch broke was by the toolbox falling down some stairs (ouch). I must admit it did have rubbish build quality but maybe that will explain my type of usage i.e. not rigourous usage such as the tradesperson,

The weak parts to most tool boxes are the handles and catches. Usually the lid latches shut and then is carried by the handle which is part of the lid, this puts a lot of strain on the latche6es and they can become slack and then prone to not closing tightly.

The veto bag provides upright storage for tools so you can see what you need straight away, tool boxes tend to be just that and you end up digging away into a pile of tools and you always find the sharp ones first. :LOL:

At £100 plus a veto is only for a trades who can justify the cost as it gets used daily.

How about summat like this for bits.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...rganiser/path/tool-boxes-tool-bags-organisers

Then a smallish tool bag for your tools

Some here

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sc-2-6763-tool-bags.asp

Ive gone through several toolboxes and a few toolbags in the last 6 years ive been on street lighting.
Had some fall out of the van when i opened the side door and that broke them, or the plastic hinges fail with daily use and the catches are much the same.
I now use a toolbag from Homebase made under the KOSCH brandname they had and im really pleased with it.
Has a compartment in the side with pockets i put my drivers in and a plastic parts case that sits under the bag.
I keep all my most used tools in this and have a separate toolbox for the rest of my kit i dont use everyday this works really well for me.

If its just for tool storage, why not consider something like a small roll cab?

I've got both sections of this one, unfortunately I am still short on space, however most of my tools are automotive related and quite large. I apreciate this will be well oversized for what you probably need, but as I say they do lots of good small ones.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...bile-tool-cabinet-b/path/tool-chests-cabinets

You could always get yourself a good toolbox and make yourself a wheely base to use with it when you want it to be mobile.

It can also become handy when wanting to move something big & awkward.

And when your not doing DIY you canuse it as a skateboard :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back