Need help with Internal rendering of out building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please

I have been asked by a friend to render an out house. The brick work is in very poor condition (crumbling motar and bad bricks), hence why she wants to have it rendered. Area to be rendered is approx 14 ft x 11 ft x 8 ft

My questions are simular to ones posted before but I wanted to make sure I have got all the detail right.

1. Do I need to do several coats as she only wants a very rough finish.
2. What mix would be best for this task.
3. As it is very warm at moment 24+ in outhouse do I need to PVA or wet walls.
4. Is it best to paint after it has dried and is motar paint ok
5. What else have I missed?

This will be the second time I have tried to plaster/render, first time went very well. She is a family friend and I don't want to mess it up.

thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
several coats maybe five to many!is it a single skin,is the brickwork water/damp damaged,your first coat needs to be a bit weaker than the substrate then the next a little weaker still,a picture paints a thousand words so post one up me old china plate :)

Thanks for the response External

Firstly, it is a single skinned wall and it is old, so yes there is probable water damage (not that I would know what it looks like).
I was looking at only one to two coats, why would I need five plus? I am obviously missing something!!
I will try to get a picture and post it up soon.

Sponsored Links
I have just looked at the job again and found that there are some large holes and crevices. The outbuilding is only single brick thickness and the roof is poor but still leak proof as the last rain shower proved.

1. I was wondering what the best method of filling in the holes was, and what if I was to use render would be the max depth I could fill in one go.

2. Also how long should I leave each coat ( External your '5 or more coats ' I am starting to understand)?

3. Lastly who deep should each coat be at max?

Sorry for all questions but money limited and i don't want to waste material.

if the holes are deep mix up a semi dry sbr mix ,sbr slurry the hole,put your marigolds on and fill with your hands and finish with a pointer,let set then two 8 to 10mm coats,you can scratch the day after the dubbing out but i like to leave them 5 days before i top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back