Need to block off hot and cold pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to remove my bath, but I will need to use the water sometime during the day.

Obviously I have the mains turned off now. And when I turn them on again the water will flow out of the hot and cold pipes where the bath was!!

I have bought two 'End stops' (not sure if this is the correct term) 15mm, which is the pipe width.

If I slide these over the ends, would they hold the pressure? Or could I use a hose pipe with connectors on each end and slide one end over the hot pipe and one end over the cold pipe?

Or could I take the bath out and as long as I have not had to hack saw off the taps, just below the end of a pipe, could I re-screw on the bath taps, once bath is out of the way?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
End stops will be fine. If hacksawing make sure they are cut as square as possible.

The stop ends should be OK. I would prefer compression fittings to push-fit myself, as they will work with 15mm or 1/2" pipe.
Push-fits only work properly with 15mm, and it can be difficult spotting the difference.

I would probably chose to fit isolating valves or service valves to the pipes in a position that will be accessible later, then you can hook up your new plumbing to them and just turn them back on when you are ready. They can remain in place as service valves for any future tap washer changes etc.

Re-fitting the bath taps should be OK providing the fibre washers in the tap connectors don't get lost or damaged.

Linking the hot and cold outlets is not a good idea, and would lead to all sorts of problems all over the house.

Hi

Many thanks for that.

The hot and cold are 15m copper pipe. The stop ends are to me just 15mm caps...literally!

So it does concern me to hack saw of the pipes below the bath. Only to find the stop ends cannot handle the pressure or I cannot fit them correctly.

The compression fittings you mention do they just slide over the ends of pipes and have a screw fix or something similar?

As I have no knoedge of welding.

And I presume they are sold at b&q or plumbers merchants?

As for the isolater valves the plumber will fit those once we have the new bath/sink etc to fit.

If I could unscrew the taps then I would feel more confident about just re-fitting them for the short term!! :)

once again many thanks

Sponsored Links
Good morning,
I would be careful about using a hacksaw with push-fit fittings as a hacksaw end on copper can cut the neoprene o-ring in them. I would use compression, flux and solder or use a pipe-slice and push-fit.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back