Need to lift Karndean flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a leak and the the boards (chipboard I believe) underneath a small are of my Karndean floored kitchen have gone soggy and soft.

I obviously need to lift the Karndean and see what's going underneath but I don't want to damage the Karndean any more than absolutely necessary. How can I do this please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Almost impossible I'm afraid.

The karndean should be bonded direct to a plyboard with a very strong adhesive, you would need to scrape the vinyl off the floor which would tear the vinyl as you go.

As the product is fixed to your building you may want to claim on your building insurance.

Errrrr.....

pe!!!! - the karndean should have been glued to 6mm ply which was fixed to the chipboard first.

It is possible to uplift LVC tiles (karndean) IF the correct adhesive was used to stick it down. You will almost certainly damage the ply and will need to carefully replace after your repairs.

However you will get a betteNor result from an experienced fitter.

Are you insured? they should cover a situation such as this

If your floor was bonded direct to the chipbard then you are in all sorts of trouble, and a very naughty boy! - you may end up replacing your whole floor

Edit - I AM A DONKEY! and didnt read the post above this one properly

From memory, there was a 5mm ply and then a screed layed on to which the Karndean was stuck.

Soon after it was fitted, I had a slight curl in one piece under the radiator and the fitter came back out to stick it back down. I seem to remember him using a heat gun for this...and come to think of it, he used a heat gun the whole time it was being fitted.

Sadly, the house is an unoccupied rental property. My insurance only covers water damage when occupied or for a maximum of 30 days when unoccupied :( :(

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pictures up mate?
If water has got in the chipboard then you might have a problem. But you need to take up the Karndean where its been lifting. All depends what adhesive has been used as how hard it will come up, but if its been feather finished then it will be easy.

UPDATE

I managed to get all the Karndean up and, to my eyes, it's in tact. It came up very easily. No kinks in the tiles or and tears etc. It's a bit "curved" on the odd tile but I'm sure it will flatten out again if it was warmed up.

When lifting, the odd tile has taken a bit of the screed up with it, but this will scrape off.

I will try and post some photos up, but based on the above, will it go back down? I'll need a fair bit of work to level out the floor where I've replaced the boards (needs ply and screed), but, assuming I get the surface as level as possible, will the tiles go back down and, more importantly, stay down?

Thanks.

If it's a rental property, why not re-prep the floor and lay a cheaper sheet vinyl product which will likely be just as suitable and nowhere near as much hassle and expense if you get issues again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back