Neff oven - additional earth connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought a neff u17m42n3gb built-under double oven as a direct replacement for my previous oven. I am happy with the main wiring connections as they are identical to the old oven. However, the installation instructions state "the appliance corresponds to safety class 1 and may only be operated in conjunction with a safety earth terminal." There are two earthing symbols on top of the oven casing but no obvious attachment point. Do I need to connect an additional earth cable to the oven casing, and if so can I terminate this earth at the cooker isolation switch? This a uk spec oven purchased from ao.com

Sponsored Links
With a modern house with RCD protection I would not be worried about earth connections other than that in the main supply cable.

Where the earth leakage exceeds 3.5 mA then there are special earthing requirement which get even tighter when 10 mA is exceeded and a high integrity protective connection is required. This in the main means using two earth wires but likely the cooker isolator only has one earth supplying it so it would need another route back to the consumer unit.

Today it would seem silly to produce an oven requiring a high integrity protective connection as many will have RCD protection and it would likely cause the RCD to trip.

Neff is not British and so likely designed for all countries which they export to at 21A it is likely considered as a commercial oven most of Europe will have a 16A supply to oven and in UK 13A supply is common. So may be it does have high leakage current?

I selected stand alone cooker because the oven had more power than most built in ones so I can see reason for using one with such high power. But without reading the manual can't really say why it asked for a second earth connection I can only guess.

I would wait for more replies and see what the others say.

It is very likely that the earth connection at the point where the conductor connections are made, will also tie in to earthing the appliance's metallic casing. If you have a test meter that can measure continuity, you can prove this by testing across the earth terminal and the casing of the appliance.

Sponsored Links
The instructions are simply saying that the appliance must have an earth connection.

They also state "Connect the appliance only according to the connection diagram - Figure 4." and the diagram simply shows the three connections. Earth / L / N. There is no reference to any additional earthing shown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back