Negative flow shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Im installing a new bathroom and I need a little advice on negative flow pumps.

I want to:

• Instal a negative flow pump in my upstairs tank cupboard (cold water header tank is a smilar height to the shower head)

• Only pump the hot water and leave the cold from the mains, its a decent pressure and its going to a thermostatic shower valve panel thingi

My plumber has said I should install a large cold water tank in the loft and install new piping direct to the bathroom and pump both the hot and the cold with a dual positive flow pump.

Im not keen on this as it seems a little old fashioned and a lot of hassel.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks LEE

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your plumber knows what he's talking about. Mixer showers need balanced pressures and, if pumped, a large enough cold water store to ensure that the pump doesn't run dry.

HI

I've been thinking about this and really just need to know the best cause of action.

The options I have are

1) Put a large cold water tank (114 litres) in the loft and run a positive head twin impella pump for both hot and cold water to the bathroom.

2) Pump the hot water with a single negative pump and use water at mains pressure.

3) Install a unvented cylinder, but im not sure about the costs and its all a bit confusing as I read something that said these dont work with showers.

Id rip it all out and put a combi in it I hadn't replaced the boiler about 18 months ago.

Thanks again for all your posts and help

LEE

Sponsored Links
first choice would be the unvented cylinder if your mains pressure and flow are good enough (and budget) second would be replace the tank in loft but I doubt 114 litres would be enough stored water, 225 (50 gallon) would be the minimum I would use with a shower pump, you will have problems if you use a single pump and mains pressure, not a good idea for several reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back