Negative head pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going ahead with the loft conversion shortly and will be relocating the cwt to the eaves, so it will be about two foot lower and replaced by a 50 gallon tank. Is that large enough?

I know that I need a 3 bar twin pump for the shower cabinet (any opinions on New World products?). Can I run the wash basin and bidet of this pumped hot water supply as well without causing pressure problems? As the pump will be in a bed room are there any recommended pumps that are Quiet?

My practise is to run 22 mm pipes as close to the outlets as possible before switching to 15. The developer thought 15 mm was good enough. Advice please.

Finally I am worried about the existing shower (Aqualisa classic thermostatic shower control) on the first floor. The head will be reduced to about two foot with the piped water travelling across the house to get to the hwt. Will there be enough pressure? If not what can I do? Can the pump be fitted to the house supply rather than the dedicated supply to the loft extension?

Sponsored Links
Whether a 50 gallon tank is large enough really depends on what you're trying to supply with it.

If you want to run more than just the shower off the pump it would be advisable to get a whole house pump. Bear in mind that, in general, the quieter the pump gets, the lower it's overall performance, as there is only a finite amount of sound-deadening that can be achieved whilst still maintaining a sensible operating temperature.

Does your bidet have an ascending spray?

22mm might give a better supply but ultimately the length of the run must be considered.

You cannot pump the mains without permission from your water supplier. You can pump a loft tank to supply the entire house.

Have you considered changing your hot water cylinder for an unvented one? This would do away with your cold water storage tank completely and (assuming your mains supply is sufficient) give you all the hot water you want at mains pressure.

Water pressure is pretty good but the supply is turned off periodically for repairs (TWA area). So I don't want to lose the cwt.

The shower cabinet is all singing & dancing in the loft. Bidet & wash basin will be standard taps with mains cold water supply.

The issues for me are how to provide a balanced supply to the thermo static shower cabinet, hot water to the loft and the loss of water pressure to the thermo static shower on the first floor

Cost issues make me want to keep the existing 450 litre hwt to minimise the amount of new piping and changes to existing water & CH system

Being a development I have one plumber for the loft and one replacing the CH boiler (Vailent Ecotec 630), sealing the open vent system & providing the pipework to the loft. So I don't know which type of pump or location (loft space or first floor bedroom) is best

Simply and quite obvious answer is no, it won't even be close.

Pump in a bedroom, you're having a laugh.

A Large storage tank and pump set in the basement, plantroom wherever there's room.

Sponsored Links
Possibly my plumber is but I'm not.

Sadly the only options are in the bed room or loft space with the tank at the front of the house. Loft space has the advantage that the ajoining room will not be used as a bed room.

If I put the pump in the loft would it need to be a whole system pump? If so would it start up every time a tap was used and would it still need to be a negative head pump?

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have an opinion on the reliability/ noise levels of Supergen pumps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back