Neighbouring house rented / tree encroaching question on cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbouring house sold and now rented as hmo - never had contact with the neighbour in 5 years. their garden is unkept and overgrown.

Silver Birch growing in their garden pushing my fence over

Got the ladders out and have cut off the (15m+!) limb which forked over our garden.

Odd question i can't find anything online -

If you use a chainsaw to shave the trunk vertically on on side down to the ground i.e a couple of inches where it is encroaching on our garden and pushing the fence, would this kill the tree, or would it be fine and continue to grow but only on their side?

I do need to get hold of the owner as there is a self seeded sycamore in their garden just 5-6m from their house and 8-10m from ours which will grow to 35m which will cause even bigger problems

Sponsored Links
Its a stupid law but you can't do anything to endanger the life of the tree and what you intend doing would.
I don't know how often these matters result in court action but your person is not allowed to overhang the boundary while attacking the trees

Sponsored Links
Is this report on you? :)

1688050182861.png

Talk to the occupier and ask for the contact details of the landlord. Ask them if you can remove it. Or wait till its dark or the occupants have gone for the weekend and then remove it. Just don't leave your DNA in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back