Neighbours Chimney causing issues in my property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day everyone,

Before the neighbours had their roof done in 2021, there was damp in this corner. Since then, I thought the issue was fixed—the area was decorated but still looked stained—so I didn't think it was a fresh leak.

I had my roof done by some cowboys last year, and I thought surely there was no fresh leak. I have just redecorated, and no amount of stainblocking can hide the fresh water ingress.

The neighbour had said there was steady damp and mildew from her chimney in the room below.

The neighbour and I are no longer on talking terms. However, I would like to split the cost of fixing it with her, but she is saying she doesn't have an issue now because she doesn't want to fix it.

How can this problem be rectified so my property is watertight?

Attachments

• Back Chimney 21.44.17.jpeg
    Back Chimney 21.44.17.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Damp 2.jpeg
    Damp 2.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Damp.jpeg
    Damp.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3128.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Is the chimney solely hers and what is that lump of wood in your first pic, is it the end of a scaffolding plank or something from when they were doing your roof. To me it looks like the chimney needs more pointing work done and there looks to be a problem at the back of it which may be down to your cowboys. Really needs someone to have a closer look at that area.

Thank you.

Yes, you are right. That's the scaffolding from when I had my roof done.

Someone looked at it yesterday - It needs new lead work and would cost £480. I don't know much, but shouldn't an apron be at the back?

Many thanks!

There should be something there to direct the rain away from the chimney . Whether they use lead flashing or some newer product I would not like to say. Perhaps that is included in the £480 for lead work.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Could you give me an example of newer products? I have already suggested Marley soaker tiles since I have tiles, and they have stone.

OP,
More pics showing the whole chimney stack including the flaunching might help - but maybe the stack itself needs rebuilding?
The flashing is wrong and the back gutter appears to have been missed out?
Total re-flashing is needed.
Given whats been done or not been done by whoever - then pics of the roof planes front and back of the house, & pics of the eaves /gutters areas might also help?

If a neighbour's property is causing damage to your property then there is a legal redress but you'd be better off asking on the Bldg Regs and planning forum.

Thank you. Mine is the tile roof. Here is a pic of the chimney front.
For my side (I strongly believe I will have to pay to have it fixed), would Marley soaker tiles be better than lead?
I have the low-profile Marley tiles, which some roofers are unfamiliar with.

Attachments

• Back view .png
    Back view .png
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
Oh, I love my choice of tile. It wasn't laid properly, though.
Not my chimney, unfortunately.

OP,
The new pic shows that the chimney stack stump would best be removed, and the roof made good.
However, the stack appears to straddle the party wall so the neighbour would have to be involved.
It also seems that a Bonding Gutter has been used at the roof join, and then smothered in mortar - whether its the right kind of Bonding Gutter or how its been installed is impossible for me to say. I will say that it looks a very poor installation.

Thanks—yes, this makes sense. I had a similar issue with the bonding gutter at the front. I think the mortar was scraped out of that part. Setting aside the bonding gutter issue, would you say that sorting the flashing should solve my water ingress?

I think your observation that the chimney straggles the party wall is spot on. However, this chimney is inside a bedroom in the neighbour's property. She had her roof done and did not get rid of it, so I think I'm going to have to live with it. She told me she gets nothing but mould and mildew and now denies that it's an issue.

OP,
"sorting the flashing" would not solve your "water ingress".
I doubt It would even help all that much.
The bonding gutter issue cannot be put aside because it runs into the position where the back gutter should be.
FWIW: experience tells me that patching up, so to speak, roof leaks, any kind of roof leaks, often fails.

Thanks! That's given me something to think about that would not otherwise be on my radar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back