neighbours garden drainage into mine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both my neighbour and I have our garden higher than our patio level (approx 5 foot). I moved in 15 months ago and noticed when it rained my patio was puddled. Neighbour has a conservatory running along my patio length. Problem been I noticed while gardening that a home made pipe system runs from his garden into mine at the point before the steps to lower level. We had very heavy rain couple of days ago and the side of my steps was a waterfall. I checked the 'pipe' and it runs across my high level patio across full width of my garden then just stops and this us where it caused the waterfall down side of my steps flooding my low level patio.
Can I demand he diverts his garden drainage water to his own side. The main drain from both houses (washing machine, sink, bath etc) is my side of the boundary. I wondered how he had conservatory with no flooding from his land, well now I know how he has managed it. I don't want to fall out but he is very clever with the talk and always turns things to his advantage. Shall I just contact the council drain department and report it.
Please advise me I'm totally lost at my rights.

Sponsored Links
just spoken with my neighbour about this and he is denying any knowledge of the pipe (bearing in mind he was boasting only a couple of months ago at building the higher level patio and garden retaining wall). he is now saying he has never known a pipe to be laid and it must come from his neighbour on the other side. the layout of the gardens and houses does not make his claim possible and I am thinking this is just his clever way of trying to get out of it. I have said I will be contacting the council to get the land drainage checked.

Is this my best way to go please.

Block his pipe up with a can of foam.

Problem solved :ROFLMAO:

Do it so he doesnt know -afterall he is claiming the water isnt from his property so a pipe blockage wont affect him, will it?

Your neighbour is a muppet.

And no you cant discharge rainwater onto a neighbours property. It must go to a soakaway on your own garden, or a public storm drain or into the foul system if thats deemed acceptable.

Sponsored Links
love the idea of blocking the pipe but scared of reprocussions as I have now spoken to him and he will know. Forgot to mention that my own drainage comes out through small pipes at the bottom of the retaining wall and then into a gully which in turn has a drainage pipe under my low level patio directly into the downpipe drainage system from my house.

will he have to pay for the pipes to be dug up and moved to his own property.

love the idea of blocking the pipe but scared of reprocussions as I have now spoken to him and he will know. Forgot to mention that my own drainage comes out through small pipes at the bottom of the retaining wall and then into a gully which in turn has a drainage pipe under my low level patio directly into the downpipe drainage system from my house.

will he have to pay for the pipes to be dug up and moved to his own property.
I like the bung. Do it in a way that can be removed if needed and see what happens. If you want to be a good neighbor then tell him that you've blocked it so you can find where it's coming from and so he can be on the lookout.

OR, get him to put a hose on his patio and see if the water goes down your pipe.

just spoken with my neighbour about this and he is denying any knowledge of the pipe (bearing in mind he was boasting only a couple of months ago at building the higher level patio and garden retaining wall).

"hi, george, you remember you told me you know nothing about the pipe. You're sure it's not yours? That's great, you won't mind if I block it then."

Blocking it will certainly bring to the fore the owner.
Get a plastic bag, wrap it around the end and then fill it with rags - then tape it round the outside with gaffer tape etc.
Forms a block but entirely removable.

The main drain from both houses (washing machine, sink, bath etc) is my side of the boundary.

Are you sure that is intended as a foul water drain? On semi houses, they often share a rain water gulley, but have separate foul water drains. It being on your side of the boundary means that when it does inevitably become blocked up, you face the job of clearing out the muck.

And no, he cannot drain his water onto your garden. Block the end of the pipe up and wait for him to complain the first time it rains. I doubt its a council problem, unless it's a council house. Possibly a water authority issue, as it's drainage related.

I am with the post from bernardgreen.

Beg, borrow or hire a "Pipe Bung" and fit it

This device is easy to fit [or remove] it is made of neoprene, or rubber sandwiched between two steel plates that when a large thumb screw is tightened the rubber expands to totally, completely block the pipe. They come in all sizes???

Bung it up and await a result???

Ken.

great advise everyone. thank you so much. i feel much better now. Because there is no ill will between us and we are able to talk things out, I'm going to let him know I will block the pipe to try find the source of the problem. In the mean time without telling him I'm going to add a temporary pipe to the end and feed it to my drain just in case the bung gives way so my patio doesn't flood while I get it sorted.

Thank you again everyone. You truly have put my mind at rest.

In the mean time without telling him I'm going to add a temporary pipe to the end and feed it to my drain just in case the bung gives way so my patio doesn't flood while I get it sorted.

Might you be able to post a photo of this pipe and its surrounds, so we have a better idea of what you are describing please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back