Neighbour's ivy intruding my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My Garage backs onto a neighbour's garden. I've noticed that the ivy they have growing up the outside of the wall is intruding through the eaves and into my garage.

What's the best way to deal with this?
Should I just spray some weedkiller on it??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could just ask them to cut it back a bit, explain it may cause damage to the garage.

I realise that in this day and age such a request could be taken as a declaration of war by some people, but have to hope that there are still reasonable people in the world.

Ivygate!!!

Say your getting creepy crawlys etc :oops:

You could just ask them to cut it back a bit, explain it may cause damage to the garage.

I realise that in this day and age such a request could be taken as a declaration of war by some people, but have to hope that there are still reasonable people in the world.

Second that, although we obviously don't know what the neighbourly relations are.

If you have no luck then trim the ivy as it enters your area. Only as a last resort would I suggest spraying weedkiller on it.

Sponsored Links
You don't say what sort of garage this is - if its a prefab concrete panel type with roof sheets, the ivy is unlikely to really do any damage - just cut it off where it pokes through, and ask them to trim it a bit. But if your garage is of a permanent construction with a tarred and felted roof, and the ivy is getting in somehow, then things could get a bit more serious and the ivy MUST be kept trimmed back.
Your neighbours have obviously planted the ivy there to block the plain wall of your garage, so maybe politely suggest that they plant something else less invasive? You could even offer to buy them a couple of plants and a bit of trellis to keep things sweet.

Just trim it, i had to do teh same thing in my garden to next doors tree, in fact i have pared it right back, i would expect my neighbours to do teh same thing if it was my plants intruding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back