Neighbours smoke blowing down chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

We're having an issue with Steptoe next door who burns anything and everything flammable in his Rayburn. Unfortunately his acrid smoke blows down our redundant chimneys into our home.

Can anyone recommend a decent anti-wind downdraught cowl? I've looked online but there's so many to choose from that it's a bit bewildering.

Can any of the pro's on here can give me a steer in the right direction with a product?

Flue tops are terracotta and unlined so I need something that just fits over the top and belt fastens.

Internally I'm going to replace the vent with a close able one, but I want to retain ventilation hence the cowl as my primary hope at alleviating the issue.

Firstborn due next week and it's her nursery that suffers worse ☹️

Thanks in advance all!

Razz

Sponsored Links
You can buy a 'pillow' to block off unused chimneys, (I think you push them up the chimney and then inflate them with a bike pump), but they will block off the air flow. Something like this;

There may be some sort of extraction fan you could fit that would simply blow out the chimney to prevent anything blowing down it.

Hi Bourbon,

We get on well with our neighbours and don't think environmental health is the right approach, especially as anecdotal research tells me there's not really anything illegal about what he's doing as we aren't in a 'clean air zone'. The best they could do is ask him to burn clean fuel and them I'm stuck with the same issue but now with p*ssed off neighbours.

We have spoken with them but ultimately they heat their home via the Rayburn so its difficult for me to tell a relatively poor retired couple to turn the heat off...

Cheers,

Razz.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a 'pillow' to block off unused chimneys, (I think you push them up the chimney and then inflate them with a bike pump), but they will block off the air flow. Something like this;

There may be some sort of extraction fan you could fit that would simply blow out the chimney to prevent anything blowing down it.

Cheers Conny,

We have looked into the pillows and actually have one on order for the hearth that we rarely use...but that ones not got any issues with smoke downdraught as its at the other side of our house away from the neighbours chimney.

For the other two hearths, these are blocked up now and vented so it really needs to be cowls on top unfortunately...and as i mentioned the ventilation, especially in the summertime is vital in our 1930's house.

All the best, Razz.

Are the two chimneys in the same stack.

If they are then it may be that the smoke is leaking from chimney to chimney through failing brickwork/mortar in the stack.

That could indicate repairs to the stack are needed

Could you temporarily block up your chimney pots and if you still get the smell, it could be as Bernard suggested.

Block the chimneys and put controllable ventilation elsewhere if you need it, otherwise you're just paying to heat the world

Are the two chimneys in the same stack.

If they are then it may be that the smoke is leaking from chimney to chimney through failing brickwork/mortar in the stack.

That could indicate repairs to the stack are needed

Thanks for the suggestion Bernard. My understanding is this was an issue in the 90's but it was rebuilt so i'd be surprised. Our local sweep does camera inspections so perhaps i'll ask him to take a look when we next have him over, preferably when the Rayburn is lit next door.

Could you temporarily block up your chimney pots and if you still get the smell, it could be as Bernard suggested.

Cheers Mottie, I couldn't do it personally with confidence...

Block the chimneys and put controllable ventilation elsewhere if you need it, otherwise you're just paying to heat the world

Hi Robinbanks. I get that but i already have ventilation via my chimneys - I just need to be able to control and manage it.

Once that's done i can't see how it would be any less efficient than spending a lot of unnecessary money to vent my house elsewhere.

--------------------

I'm thinking this Cowl for my disused flues https://www.amazon.co.uk/Savercap-C...0B8DRCG6K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

and this cowl for my solid fuel flue https://www.amazon.co.uk/Economy-Dr...31&rps=1&sprefix=anti+wind+cowl,aps,67&sr=8-6

Thanks all. Razz

Put a slate over the top of theirs ..simple
Its tempting Datarebal.

If they just burnt seasoned wood then that would be fine but he's one of these old boys that wears a boiler suit all day and treats his plot like some kind of junk yard full of rubbish. People are constantly dropping over old fences, old painted doors, treated wood, sleepers...allsorts and it all gets chopped up and sent up the chimney. In the evening the plastic goes up there too as you can smell it and see the black smoke. I've even had people on the street telling me about the chimney fires they've seen over the years!

Report him to the council if he is burning treated wood and plastic.
If you live in a town/city then he shouldn't be burning anything which produces smoke or fumes.

I thought that an open chimney (yours) will natural take heat up and out, generally not back into a room.

Occasionally when lighting a wood burner depending on outside temp, you can get a cold spot in the flue, that will push smoke back into your room, a help in these times is to open an external door/window to get the draft to push the smoke back up and outside, you could try this when you smell his.

I'm inclined to think his chimney is unlined (otherwise smoke would be up and out) and leaking through dried mortar and gaps in the chimney brickwork somewhere.

He shouldn't be burning that sh1te!

People are constantly dropping over old fences, old painted doors, treated wood, sleepers.
That sounds like your neighbour is handling waste, if he is then he needs a licence to operate.

You can check if he is licenced ( registered ) at this site

Find people or businesses registered as Waste Carriers, Brokers or Dealers, allowing them to transport, buy, sell, or dispose of waste, or to arrange for someone else to do so.

Reading through what you have said plus some of reply's I would tend to agree that chances are the rayburn flue is unlined and there are issues with midfeathers.
I would have a camera survey as a matter of urgency.
Repeated chimney fires can easily crack flues.
Also there is a strong chance your neighbour is creating a statutory nuisance with the smoke.
The smoke not only smells but you should also consider its full of micro particulates and of course carbon monoxide.
We were at one stage agents for both Stanley and Bosky cookers so have a fair bit of experience with solid fuel cookers.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back