Neo-liberal Con Trick - We are all poorer -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/17/economic-lies-neoliberalism-taxpayers

The fund totted up both the public debt and the publicly owned assets of 31 countries, from the US to Australia, Finland to France, and found that the UK had among the weakest public finances of the lot. With less than £3 trillion of assets against £5tn in pensions and other liabilities, the UK is more than £2tn in the red.

The other big reason for the UK’s financial precarity is its privatisation programme, described by the IMF as no less than a “fiscal illusion”. British governments have flogged nearly everything in the cupboard, from airports to the Royal Mail – often at giveaway prices – to friends in the City. Such privatisations, judge the fund, “increase revenues and lower deficits but also reduce the government’s asset holdings”.

Just look at a new report from the University of Greenwich finding that water companies could have funded all their day-to-day running and their long-term investments out of the bills paid by customers. Instead of which, managers have lumbered the firms with £51bn of debt to pay for shareholders’ dividends.

Instead of competitively run utilities, record investment by the private sector and sounder public finances, we have natural monopolies handed over to the wealthy, banks that can dump their liabilities on the public when things get tough,

So before the older buffoons go blaming the Millenials - they were dealt a poor hand and will pay for the mess of neo-liberalism.

Sponsored Links
yep, years of Tory rule screwing the country. Selling the country off bit by bit.
Labour left the Tories with nothing in the coffers because there was a global economic disaster - the world's economy crashed, nobody had any money.
When the tories hand the keys back, there will still be no money, and there won't be any assets left either.
What is so bad, is that many of the companies that bought up bits of Britain are foreign - and after Brexit ... well, who knows how that will work out. Either way, we need them to want to run the companies well, and not run them into the ground. So be nice to our friends overseas in Europe.
The future is looking grim.

yep, years of Tory rule screwing the country. Selling the country off bit by bit.
Labour left the Tories with nothing in the coffers because there was a global economic disaster - the world's economy crashed, nobody had any money.
When the tories hand the keys back, there will still be no money, and there won't be any assets left either.
What is so bad, is that many of the companies that bought up bits of Britain are foreign - and after Brexit ... well, who knows how that will work out. Either way, we need them to want to run the companies well, and not run them into the ground. So be nice to our friends overseas in Europe.
The future is looking grim.

If you read the IMF report then it makes it clear that Privatisation has massively contributed to this in the UK.

So before the older buffoons go blaming the Millenials - they were dealt a poor hand and will pay for the mess of neo-liberalism.
What a load of bolox.snowflake millenials will pay because they think life is served to them on a gold platter if they get 2d's for their a levels.Suddenly they think the world and uk govt owe them big time.wrong.

Sponsored Links
What a load of bolox.snowflake millenials will pay because they think life is served to them on a gold platter if they get 2d's for their a levels.

Explain to me the benefit from North Sea Gas to the public sector which you benefited from before you spout crap you have no idea about.

Who are these snowflake millenials? Most of the people I work with are aged between 20 and 30. Some facts:
Average starting salary in 1999 (when I bought my first flat): £15,000
Price for a one bed flat: £40,000

Jump forward to 2018.....
Average starting salary: £20,000
Price for a one bed flat: £150,000

Also, in 1999 banks would lend young professionals 5 times their salary, now it's a struggle to get 3 times without a big deposit.

The result - they rent flats for £800-1000 a month, and have no disposable income to allow them to save.

Where exactly is the golden platter?

Who are these snowflake millenials? Most of the people I work with are aged between 20 and 30. Some facts:
Average starting salary in 1999 (when I bought my first flat): £15,000
Price for a one bed flat: £40,000

Jump forward to 2018.....
Average starting salary: £20,000
Price for a one bed flat: £150,000

Also, in 1999 banks would lend young professionals 5 times their salary, now it's a struggle to get 3 times without a big deposit.

The result - they rent flats for £800-1000 a month, and have no disposable income to allow them to save.

Where exactly is the golden platter?
Isn't one,you expect one,can you not read

Explain to me the benefit from North Sea Gas to the public sector which you benefited from before you spout crap you have no idea about.
Ask me a question that makes grammatic sense first.

Sponsored Links
Back