Nests in loft... Help identifying them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if there's much on here about insect nests but thought I'd ask!

Had someone out to spray as wasps next in new house in July. Was putting insulation down at weekend and found another 3 nests.

It's freezing up there so expect all to be dead

1. Tiny wasps nest size of a gold ball. Gave it a tap. And it disappeared.

2. Wasp nest at end of roof (picture attached). Should I get rid of this?

3. Unknown nest (picture attached). Anyone able to identify what this?
IMG_20180203_124535.jpg
IMG_20180203_142610.jpg
IMG_20180203_124535.jpg

Sponsored Links
I 've seen loads of them in lofts, I normally take them down and show the householder (when not active) as most of them have never seen one. They are very fragile and can turn into dusk with very little pressure. If you want poke it with a stick and it will fall apart.

Andy

Sponsored Links
and lots of nails through the felt... what's that all about?

Looks as though it might be plywood in picture 2, but those nails are way too big for whatever they're doing. Wasps seem to like your place, and you might get them back again. If you can find where they're coming through, and put a bit of netting across, it might deter them this year.

Looks as though it might be plywood in picture 2, but those nails are way too big for whatever they're doing. Wasps seem to like your place, and you might get them back again. If you can find where they're coming through, and put a bit of netting across, it might deter them this year.
There are definitely a few gaps/and cracks around the wood of the eves - which probably need replaced in a places. But not sure if its on the agenda for this year's work or next. Assume I could always put netting across from the outside this year in these areas. Thanks.

Any recommendation on netting?

Anything that will allow the air to flow, but be a small enough to deter the wasps; possibly just garden netting that's scrunched up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back