New 3 port valve, olives question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am going to change our 3 port valve (Honeywell V407) type, as no Heating is coming on. And I have tested with a multi meter but no power to the Orange wire.

The valve must be about 15 years or more old now, and my question is, will the new valve olives be ok for the pipe, as I know that old 3/4" imperial pipe and 22mm fittings don't seal properley as thr 22mm olives / fittings are too big.

Is this a concern?

Sponsored Links
you'll probably find its only the motor failed if no power is getting to the orange not the whole valve faulty.

was thinking of having a whole new actuator instead, but then discovered that when removing the old actuator, the spindle seemed pretty stiff, so a whole new valve may be best bet in long run...??

ok got ya.
useally abit of wire wool on the pipe & olives will be ok
very rare that you have to fit the new ones

Sponsored Links
ok will do, wil a few turns of PTFE tape around the old olives give me some added seal, to be on the safe side?

Was the stiff spindle the cause of the orange wire not being live btw? or is that just down to the motor/micro swicthes being faulty/worn out?

Thanks seco for helping.

Could the stiff spindle have been the cause of the orange wire not being live btw? or is that just down to the motor/micro swicthes being faulty/worn out?

if the spindle is that stiff not allowing the motor to open the valve yes.
how is the valve if you operate it by the lever and does it return ok ?

if the spindle was that stiff then the lever would not move over anyway.....

replace the whole valve but makre sure your system water is ok...check your header tank.

Some valves are not interchangable without swapping the olives as they are coarse and fine thread but I can't recall which are which. If you are replacing like for like no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back