New bathroom including moving wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Some of you may already know that I'm currently planning a bit of work this year including taking a couple of walls down.

Now I've already asked advice on the walls, which I now need to get a SE in to go through what and how things are to be done.

What I didn't realise was, that BC should also be informed about the new bathroom, which no one ever really does. But as I'm moving the wall, I assume they're going to see what's going on and question it when they visit.

Now the bathroom wall is being moved 700mm, and it only supports the ceiling joists.
What's my chances of moving the wall and doing the bathroom without BC? But obviously using the SE, unless he says it's really involved, which I really don't think it is.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is a structural alteration, so you will need BC approval. You don't have to use the Local Authority, you can also use any of the Approved Inspectors. Selling the house later with structural alterations undertaken without BC approval will be a mare!

Thanks.
I was hoping, as its a bungalow and only supporting the ceiling (which I'll still get a SE to confirm) that I could move it and nobody would really know.
We're looking at staying here for a good few years, and will be doing a loft conversion at some point, which would probably take the eye away from the bathroom..?

It just sounds a lot of hassle and more money as I think I'd have to tell them about the bathroom alterations and they'll need more visit to check.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back