New boiler - do I need new Valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to order a new boiler - upgrading from a GlowWorm Space Saver MKII which I believe is non-condensing. We are going with a standard boiler.

We are having a power flush but are being asked if we want new valves and a new pump with it - at a cost of £145 and £195.

Do we need these and are they a worthy upgrade? I don't know what the valve does...

Attached pictures of the new valve plus current stuff. Existing pump is very noisy so I think we're benefitting on that!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 17.32.29.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 17.32.29.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3709 3.JPG
    IMG_3709 3.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3708 2.JPG
    IMG_3708 2.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
New pump definitely worth it (although price is a little steep). Existing one draws 105 watts (assuming it's on Speed 3 which most are), new one will be no more than 42 watts and likely much less.

Valve head looks fairly new but if the body is old it may be worth upgrading the whole thing. Again though the price is a bit steep.

Sponsored Links
Confirm that the pump price includes the cost of two off new shut off valves. Gate type (as per your top one) not ****ty ball type (as per the bottom one.

Those prices should include fitting.

Ask the installer what he is going to need to do (if anything) regarding changing from an old type constant speed pump to a new type variable speed pump.

The correct answer should be:
A) Nothing, we'll just put the new pump in constant speed mode.
B) We'll have a look at your boiler bypass arrangements and advice accordingly.

This is important. Dodgy plumbers don't understand the issue (especially with std boilers) and look to open up and lock out the ABV if fitted to always open to stop the boiler tripping.

If you want the pump to be in PP mode, you should remove the ABV and fit a manual one.
If you want to keep the ABV, you should look to use the pump in CS mode.

If you can be arsed, the pump in PP mode with a manual bypass and minimum flow indicator set to the boiler requirements is probably best.

If you can't be arsed, just tell him to put the pump in CS mode and be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back