New boiler dropping pressure after heating has gone off

If your contractor is on the wa
After chasing the company up again, and saying I'd get my solicitor involved if they did nothing, the company boss has agreed to send somebody out next Tuesday to take a look. He again told me that it's probably my existing pipework and therefore we'll have to pay for any work done as it's nothing to do with the work his company did. Having read your post, I would add that at no point were we told that there would be any problem with the old pipework. We were told that some of the pipes in the garage connecting to the boiler would need to be changed in order to comply with new regulations on size, but no warning about any other pipework whatsoever. If we had known it would be a problem, then we would have explored whatever the other viable options are at the time of having the boiler and radiators installed.

I have no clue what WAI is, but we did get the name of the company from looking at a list on the Worcester Bosch site - does this mean I can complain to Worcester about what has happened? It won't help our situation as it stands, but if it prevents somebody else having the problems that we are having, then that's what I will do.

If your installer is on the wai list, the Worcester would be interested. Unfortunately , it is a well known issue that old pipe work that moves to a pressurised system can amplify leaks and pin holes in pipe work. That's not the installers fault or poor workmanship, but they should have told you and help you fix this.

In their defence it can be time consuming and therefore carry a bill. Either way you would want this fixing, as a continuous leak means clean water needs to be intrdoced , which means diluted inhibitor mix, which way down the line and depending on the fault , Worcester could back out of the warranty

Sponsored Links
Start with the system cold and the pressure at 1.2, run the heating but note the pressure every few minutes and post it up on here. If after 15 mins it's up around 3 you have an expansion vessel issue

This - it sounds very much like your installers haven't correctly connected your EV. They weren't called Wooshitter-Bodgeit & Scarper were they?

It was a Mira electric pump shower

So knowing there would be a problem, why didn't they install a pressure reducing valve instead of waiting for the Mira shower to fail. You might have a case against them over this.

As already advised it sounds like you have an expansion problem rather than a leak on your pipework

Sponsored Links
Yeah, come across that as well. Also went to one where custard said boiler losing pressure. Looked inside boiler and exp vessel not connected. Isolated boiler and fitted hose, opened iso's and couldn't find filling loop anywhere, had units out and everything. Finally went into the loft and found it was tank fed :mad:

Reminds me of when I went to a Worcs boiler complete with filling loop.

Had to drain the boiler into a bucket.

After three bucket fulls and no change in pressure, I asked owner and he could vaguely remember that his boiler was fed from a loft tank!

So knowing there would be a problem, why didn't they install a pressure reducing valve instead of waiting for the Mira shower to fail. You might have a case against them over this.

Mira Excel shower ( one with pump ) is unsuitable for main fed, higher flow rate may affect normal working condition of shower.

Op, have you got heating radiators that is fed from ground floor? There might be leaking pipe inside concrete floor.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back