NEW BOILER SIZE:

Pretty sure the pin holing plates are something to do with domestic water quality/type so could well be regional.
:eek:
If it rots through stainless steel, what will it do to me? :eek: :eek:

How did you come to the conclusion that it is in the domestic side and not in the system side?

Lateral thinking Ben.

They always leak domestic to primary, never primary to atmosphere, which say to me, the domestic is the weak part. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Could be that it is because domestic tends be higher in pressure than primary.
Also, if it leaked from the primary to domestic, you would never notice apart from the strange taste of you cuppa.

Neither of you are using lateral thinking!

They leak from high to low pressures! Its only a hole, not a one way valve!

DIA has a point that they rarely leak to the outside just from one internal to the other in BOTH directions!

Tony

..And suggests my living room rads are giving out about 4kw (but I suspect less) against a calculated requirement of about 2.5kw.

Over capacity is good; it improves the response time and performance of the boiler.

I'd like to think I can change/upsize a rad if desirable and boiler has adequate capacity...

Calculations are a crutch to choose a rad. The only thing that really matters is: does the room get warm enough, quickly enough? If there is no problem, leave the rads as they are, whatever the calcs say.

I compare heatloss calculators to working out how much booze you need for the coming party based on the consumption per head of the last one; it gives you an idea, but will rarely be spot on. And like booze, no problem if there is a bit of spare capacity, but you look like a prat when there isn't enough.

Sponsored Links
Neither of you are using lateral thinking!

They leak from high to low pressures! Its only a hole, not a one way valve!

Could be that it is because domestic tends be higher in pressure than primary.
Also, if it leaked from the primary to domestic, you would never notice apart from the strange taste of you cuppa.

You are not on form today Tony.

If in doubt, don't

:LOL:

But if the problem was high pressure and erosion, it would be wide spread. And why London where the pressure is generally low.

Cream colour carpets Agile?? We've got bits of lino and old newspapers throughout!!

I did mean a few hundred including price of new TRV (need about 6).

But if the problem was high pressure and erosion, it would be wide spread. And why London where the pressure is generally low.
True. Just thought of something else; if it was the quality of the installation/maintenance, London should be a hotspot.

I agree bengasman - no substitute for empirical evidence ie based on experience. I'm sure a good plumber can tell almost by eye what's needed by looking at the house and lifestyle/requirements of occupants. Me and the missus are of Inuit descent so anything above 60F and we start stripping off - not a pretty sight!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back