Incorrect Boiler Size

Sponsored Links
A potterton but I don't know the model. I now have an alpha 24. House was cold before and is still cold downstairs. We have 2 bathrooms with baths and 1 shower (large tank). Like I said, I know nothing about plumbing.

Sponsored Links
Found some plans! Length is 9.17 metres, width is 9.75 metres. Then there is an extension which is 3 metres long and 4 metres wide. We are on 2 floors and then we have a loft conversion too.

Thanks once again!

New boiler was only fitted in June so it hasn't been running long but put it on in June in the evening and it still felt cold - bearing in mind the guy who installed it told me it would heat next doors house too (and we are detatched) I expected to really feel it!

The radiators that were changed were double but didn't have the bits in the middle so that's why they were changed. I had previously had british gas in who also told me radiators were of suitable size and amount.

Do you really think you have an actual problem or are you just trying to find points of argument with the builders? I hope that you are not just trying to find excuses not to pay them?

Tony

Tony,

I just want it to be right - I have already paid them!

Can you give me a list of your radiators, width, height and single or double?

Ok, according to CHeSS 54 whole house heating, which makes a few assumptions, which I can post if you want them.

Detached house.

Three floors. Average ceiling height 2.6m

Filled cavity ( not sure about that one)

Pitched roof with 50mm insulation (assume it meets the regs in the loft conversion)

Location North + Midlands.

19.85 Kw which includes 2Kw for hot water, again I assume it's not a combi, did you post the boiler make model.

I may have been light on the extension, depending on construction, and the glass area, but I allowed 2.3Kw as if it were cavity wall.

So my 24 kW was totally adequate with 20% extra capacity.

Actually until you have the walls are insulated you may need it.

But these figures are for when its -1 degree outside !!!

Tony

I think the north/midlands may be slightly more than that Tony.

It does assume that all the rooms are heated to 21 C. Which I think is low for the lounge & Bathrooms, and high for the bedrooms.

Ok, according to CHeSS 54 whole house heating, which makes a few assumptions, which I can post if you want them.

Detached house.

Three floors. Average ceiling height 2.6m

Filled cavity ( not sure about that one)

Pitched roof with 50mm insulation (assume it meets the regs in the loft conversion)

Location North + Midlands.

19.85 Kw which includes 2Kw for hot water, again I assume it's not a combi, did you post the boiler make model.

I may have been light on the extension, depending on construction, and the glass area, but I allowed 2.3Kw as if it were cavity wall.

Thanks!

Cavity is not filled, loft is not to building regs (long story), no it isn't a combi. We have 3, 6 panel large bay windows, largish windows elsewhere and in the extension 2 walls are windows/bi-fold door.

Does any of this make any considerable difference?

The filled cavity would probably add about 20%.

If you have a loft conversion then that has probably got very good insulation.

Other parts are OK if they have 100 mm but you could upgrade that as a DIY job or its very cheap for someone to do it for you.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back