Heat Loss and radiator/boiler sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know any good heat loss / radiator sizing / boiler sizing calculations? There are many ways to do this, including a written calculation, but they are vary and offer different answers! :(

For those that have done this before, and in your opinions, what are the best ways to calculate heat loss from rooms, to enable radiator sizing to be pretty accuarate, and then to size a boiler, which includes a hot water cylinder?

I'd respect your opniions.

Sponsored Links
There are many calculators for working out the heat loss on a room by room basis; but they all make different assumptions about the construction and insulation, so it is difficult to compare them.

The current recommended method is to use a "whole house" calculator to size the boiler. The EST online boiler calculator is a good one. The size calculated includes an 2kW allowance for the hot water cylinder.

The heating allowance could then be divided among the rooms based, for example, on the volume of each room.

If you want to play around with room by-room calculators try Stelrad Stars or Kermi Calculator or Barlo Heatloss Program

The only one I use is the industry standard mears calculator.

Out of all those listed above, I would only trust the Stelrad Stars one. This has become more of the industry standard for electronic versions.

Too long winded and time consuming to use though IMO, even though I have got it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back