Sizing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When selecting a gas boiler the gas people (who have been to quote) calculate how many radiators, how many watts each, and the hot water cylinder, and they come up with a required boiler wattage. They have, all, so far, settled on the Bosch 35kW boiler.

I did some counting and I have 24 radiators and 29kW. Plus 15-18kW for the HW cylinder. Plus losses on the pipes, total maybe 50kW. So the Bosch 35kW is too small?

However the heat pump men said that a typical modern 450m2 house loses 15kW of heat, does that mean I only need a 15kW boiler (excl HW) ?

Also, is there any calculation anywhere about the amount of water inside radiators and pipes to correctly size the pump (or pumps) and expansion tanks?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't add that much for a cylinder unless you have very high hot water demand. Generally we don't actually add anything. The correct way to size a boiler is to use a proper calculator such as www.heat-engineer.com Highly unlikely you need 35kW let alone 50kW

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK, my latest calculation shows 28kW (heatadviser) without losses on pipes and without hot water cylinder. I suppose the 35kW would be OK.

One more question if I may, is it possible that flow does not reach some remote radiators because it loses pressure at the previous ones? Or is it a case of increasing pump power until the most remote radiators also see some flow? Just wondering how it works in practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back