New boiler time..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a very long story short, it looks like I need a new boiler.
I have a combi boiler, and basically want another combi boiler slotting straight into its place. The pipework (i'm guessing) is all ok; overflow pipes fine, flu hole is there radiators are fine, plain a simple new boiler needed.

I see British Gas charge from £1700 to replace a boiler. Would this be the simple case, or would this be to provide all pipework and flu hole in the wall,overflow pipe etc aswel as the boiler?

To add to this (although I have got N-Power) comming on the 31st for a quote, and I've contacted a local firm; what sort of prices should I expect? I know national will be more expensive however.

I know I need a 24Kw boiler; and I'm happy to buy the boiler myself if thats going to work out cheaper?

Thanks for any help; and happy Christmas (nearly)

Sponsored Links
I have asked the mods to move your post to the Plumbing/Heating section, where you'll probably get an answer. ;)

I know I need a 24Kw boiler; and I'm happy to buy the boiler myself if thats going to work out cheaper?

Since British Gas charge the list price when they fit a boiler, I am sure that if you bought it at a good discount then that would save you quite a lot when they do the installation.

Tony

Sponsored Links
we've always had problems with it, it cuts out regularly, fails to light, and loses pressure. (needs re-pressuring twice a day) The pressure was being lost out of the overflow pipe,and out of the boiler. The overflow has now frozen over and the boiler now doesn't even try to light.

I've had a plumber out to look at it and told me a need a new thermostat; which has now been "on order" for 6 weeks as its "hard to get hold of". So mixing this in with the fact that if anything else goes I don't want to be in this situation again.

Did a calculation online; said I need 23.2Kw, Currently have a 24Kw Ideal Europa 24.

we've always had problems with it, it cuts out regularly, fails to light, and loses pressure. (needs re-pressuring twice a day) The pressure was being lost out of the overflow pipe,and out of the boiler. The overflow has now frozen over and the boiler now doesn't even try to light.

Lack of water/pressure/circulation could cause this; replacing prv would normally be under £100.

I've had a plumber out to look at it and told me a need a new thermostat; which has now been "on order" for 6 weeks as its "hard to get hold of". So mixing this in with the fact that if anything else goes I don't want to be in this situation again.

6 weeks order time is unlikely, sounds like the plumber is dragging his heels. Just checked with 2 suppliers and they both show in stock.

Did a calculation online; said I need 23.2Kw, Currently have a 24Kw Ideal Europa 24.

More often than not, heatloss calculations are worth nothing as there are many unknown factors, including unknown draft losses.
Quick reality check.
1kW output = 1 standard radiator of 600 mm high and a metre long. Do you really have 24 metres of radiator in the place?

I'll probably get a different plumber out then :) Thanks for your help.

ps no we don't have 24m of radiator, probably about 10m. Does this mean a 10Kw would be more suitable ... ? If a new boiler turns out to be the better option :)

I wouldent worry to much about the heating load, combis are sized according to the hot water requirement, I wouldent go under 28kw, a 24 kw combi is not up to the job especially in the temperatures we have been having.

...is no we don't have 24m of radiator, probably about 10m. Does this mean a 10Kw would be more suitable ... ? If a new boiler turns out to be the better option :)
With all due respect, leave it to the pro to advice you, in stead of telling him how to do his job.
1. combis are not size on heating load.
2. even if they were, you'd have a hard time find a 10kW combi.

Spend your time of finding out who the best RGI available is, and let him get on with it, don't worry about the rest.

So 1 person is saying 24Kw is not enough, the other is saying 24Kw is too much because I don't have that many radiators ... hmm...I guess I'll let someone else make that decision lol

:LOL: its the same person giving you opposite advice in two posts, no wonder its confusing! Igone the heating requirements if you're going for a combi - unless you have a 6 bedroom house or a 1 bedroom flat!

I'd personally go for at least a 30kw if you want a decent shower, and your bath to fill in the same week you begin to run it....... :D

So 1 person is saying 24Kw is not enough, the other is saying 24Kw is too much because I don't have that many radiators ...
No, it says that your heatingrequirement is less. It also says not to bother trying to figure it out yourself, but to leave that to the pro; that's what you pay him for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back