Rain water ingress to Gloworm Micron 60FF boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler trouble free for 9 years. Reset light came on, boiler would not fire up. Man called 23 Dec, needed new PCB but boiler rusty inside and water dripping from horizontal flu inside boiler. Dried out cleaned and new PCB fitted, all well over Xmas. Boiler turned off 2weeks, failed to light. man called, PCB fuse gone, water in boiler from flu, fuse replaced, boiler lit, new PCB failed. Contacted Gloworm technical who said flu outer casing should be level as inner flu slopes downwards so check fitted correctly. Seen previous posts re 3degree slope down for outer flu for good practice. £335 down, flu needs attention and new PCB needed. I appreciate weather unpleasant etc but £200 for simple PCB, flu that let's in water and gasman who fits new PCB with water dripping in to boiler. Ironic that some say leave it to the professionals.

Sponsored Links
9 years working fine and now the flue is letting in water?? Have it checked by another engineer, something must have happened recently to cause this if the boiler has been fine for 9 years. Could be corrosion of inner flue or another component responsible. Either way, get a new engineer ;)

Assuming this is an old non condensing boiler as your details indicate then the flue inner and outer are parallel and all slope downwards AWAY from the boiler!

Seems tech were telling you about a newer condensing boiler.

Its risky for laymen to speak to tech help!

Something is obviously wrong but without seeing it I don't know what.

Tony

Thank you TCC and Tony.

The rusting inside the boiler indicated that water ingress of some sort may have been happening for years but just had not reached PCB.
I shall remove the flu and check for damage of inner flue and correct fitting.
Then I shall try another engineer.

Tony, the engineer from gloworm was articulate and explained correctly the difference between a condenser and my "old non condensing boiler " which I was aware of. You as a professional know the condenser boiler flu slopes towards the boiler but he explained that the reason the outer flu on a non condenser was positioned horizontal was because the inner flu is not parallel to the outer flu. He explained that it slopes downwards and thus needs to be fitted the correct way up. I hope that made sense from a layman. I acknowledge your previous comments re a small downward slope of the outer flu for good practice which I shall do before having another PCB fitted.

Are you saying he is completely wrong about the inner flu on a non condensing boiler? He explained that by looking up the flu from the outside I would clearly see the slope of the inner flu against the outer flu to assess the correct installation.

Many thanks for your time and trouble

Sponsored Links
Too dangerous for a layman? Just find a professional to investigate?
Buy a new boiler?

Thanks

I have never seen a flue for a non condensing boiler where the inner and outer are not parallel. Perhaps others have but not me!

The whole idea of making the inner and outer slow away from the boiler is to reduce any chance of water entering the boiler.

Have you checked the gutter above flue is not over flowing in heavy rain?

Tony

Thank you TCC and Tony.

I shall remove the flu and check for damage of inner flue and correct fitting.

If you do this, and I really recommend that you don't, DO NOT re-start the boiler until it has been checked by a professional. Should you happen to accidentally re-fit the flue incorrectly, you may well be dead very quickly

Incidentally, it's flue, flu is a nasty cold... ;)

Hi Tony

That's what he said. I am not home at the moment so cannot check but will next week.
No drainpipes or overflows affecting flu but will certainly make further observations during the next rain.
It has been severe weather and the flu faces the prevailing conditions.
During original problem while cleaning out inner casing of water while engineer off to get PCB, noticed drips entering casing from where inner flu enters casing in the vertical and continues to the fan.
Everything else around dry and checked so windy rain coming up flu?
The engineer explained that general use of boiler would evaporate small amounts, but boiler not used so much now and exasperating the problem.

Thanks

Muggles

I have both bad flu and a bad flue at the moment , sorry for the aberration!
Thanks for the advice. I shall not touch anything but leave it to the clever chaps. I just hope you understand that not all " engineers" are engineers and having a healthy interest in work being carried out is not such a bad thing ;)

To all who kindly offered advice.

Points to note. The inner and outer flue are parallel. My flue was fitted parallel as described in the fitting instructions and not slightly down 3 degrees as practised by some. Observations in heavy rain from outside and inside the boiler reveal that rain and drips from overhead coping stones drip gently onto flue. At some critical time due to physics and prevailing wind this small pooling suddenly runs into boiler, descends to the base and for 9 years has been evaporating during normal use. A small downward angle on the flue would have prevented this phenomena.

After careful investigation all is revealed. The engineer when replacing first PCB managed to damage the PCB side casing which is attached by two rivets. While trying to release plastic grommets from PCB side casing pulled rivets from main boiler housing leaving two small holes at the bottom of the main boiler housing. He refitted the boiler without securing PCB casing. This conveniently left small hole directly above PCB for the rainwater to leak onto PCB. he repeated this exercise twice with the advice that I should leave the boiler running.

The PCB casing has now been secured hence blocking small holes, a quality reconditioned PCB, now with a plastic cover for extra protection, and thermistor have been fitted and the flue adjusted to prevent water ingress. Boiler functioning fine.

Hoping this will help any body unfortunate enough with similar problems.

Just because a manufacturer may make a mistake in their instructions does not mean that a competent installer will not follow common sense and fit the flue sloping downwards slightly to the outside for a non condensing boiler.

If that had been done in your case then you would not have had any of these problems.

Tony

Hi Tony

You are absolutely correct.

Boiler fitted by engineers commissioned by highly reputable house builder. Small slope downwards would have helped.

PCB fitted and damage caused without remedy with explained consequences by qualified heating engineer.

Unlucky to get that combination. Hey ho if life was perfect it would be no fun ;)

Very few good boiler engineers would ever want to work for builders!

Quite apart from the fact they don't want to pay very much and keep people waiting for payment they don't respect anyone who works for them.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back