New boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys .

I have a glowworm fuel saver 3, its a g rated boiler , it feeds 4 radiators and a towel rail. , everything uses 8mm apart from towel rail , thats 15mm.

The boiler will come on for 1 min , then go off for a min , and repeat this process and it takes 1 hr to go up 1 degree.

The boiler was installed in 1984, so all radiators are from that time to.

When boiler is drained the water is clear.

Anyway, im thinking of replacing all radiators with new ones and getting a new boiler.

On a site with good reviews I have seen , fully fitted
Ideal Esprit Eco 24 £2479
Ideal Logic+ 24 £2779
Worcester Greenstar 25i £2810
Worcester Lifestyle 8000 30kw £3089

What one seems the best rate for my needs , I might be fitting a radiator in kitchen (used to be one)

And would I get money off for paying cash ??

Sponsored Links
Why would cash payment be cheaper?
Only reason would be if job is done under the radar and in that case is the boiler going to be registered, is he or she going to come back if there is a problem

The two Ideals and the 25i will be massively overpowered for your system, so you won't get the efficiency you're hoping for. Even the 8000 is likely to be too much, although it's better. Look at the Viessmann 200-W, but first check that your pump isn't siezed as Ian has said. And no, you won't get a discount for cash off a reputable installer. HMRC are very hot on that now, so it's just not worth the risk

Sponsored Links
you won't get a discount for cash off a reputable installer. HMRC are very hot on that now, so it's just not worth the risk
so many were caught out with the Covid thing , if you dont declare you dont get, 80% of nothing is still nothing,

Why would cash payment be cheaper?
Only reason would be if job is done under the radar and in that case is the boiler going to be registered, is he or she going to come back if there is a problem

Alot of places do finance , was just wondering if you get better price for cash , the place I was looking at is the glasgow boiler company

sounds like your pump has seized
I hear the pump coming on then stopping , dunno if its waiting to clear the water from pump, its 8mm pipe, , Its a danfrost pump and I have a brand new wilco I could stick on , its the waiting for 1.5 hrs for shower water heat and 2 hrs for dish washing heat

The two Ideals and the 25i will be massively overpowered for your system, so you won't get the efficiency you're hoping for. Even the 8000 is likely to be too much, although it's better. Look at the Viessmann 200-W, but first check that your pump isn't siezed as Ian has said. And no, you won't get a discount for cash off a reputable installer. HMRC are very hot on that now, so it's just not worth the risk

This is what was suggested by the Glasgow boiler company website

The pipe work being microbore may be gunked up causing the cycling.

Depending on the pipework design it may just require a system flush

I'd be suprisesd at those prices if that covers a heat only out (which you have) to combi swap. As Ian mcd has said sounds like a pump or, if you're convinced you can hear that cutting out, sludge/ boiler thermostat problem.

I'd be suprisesd at those prices if that covers a heat only out (which you have) to combi swap. As Ian mcd has said sounds like a pump or, if you're convinced you can hear that cutting out, sludge/ boiler thermostat problem.

When I drain boiler it is clear water coming out, radiators heat up all over ,
Boiler did break down ,
Scottish hydro came out and wouldn't work on it because outside cupboard had no light , although day light streamed in , ended up they replaced the control board .

Didn't fix problem , then it needed new fan , they couldn't get one , so I got one from ebay and went with bg.

They replaced fan and gas solenoid, and it fixed problem.

I asked him about the pump and problem I was having , he said pump is running fine and it does that if it can't get rid of heat quick .

He also said cancel my policy as parts are obsolete and I'm paying for nothing ,

Its a G rated , its giving my 48% heat and rest going out flue.

So think hot water on demand is way to go ,
The price they put on there website was removing tanks and boiler , hanging new boiler, connecting up pipework and commissioning

This is what was suggested by the Glasgow boiler company website
Websites like that are only as good as the people who program them. Your system likely only needs about 5kW maximum when it's -2°C outside, and much less when it's warmer. The absolute minimum the Ideals & 25i will turn down to is 7kW, meaning they're far too powerful for your system and won't run efficiently. The 8000 will go down to 3kW I believe, the Viessmann to 1.7kW

Websites like that are only as good as the people who program them. Your system likely only needs about 5kW maximum when it's -2°C outside, and much less when it's warmer. The absolute minimum the Ideals & 25i will turn down to is 7kW, meaning they're far too powerful for your system and won't run efficiently. The 8000 will go down to 3kW I believe, the Viessmann to 1.7kW

Ahh ok , so lower power , better performance and cheaper price . I forgot to put my shower will take the water straight from the boiler ,

My radiators are not efficient , they are the old type single panel ones with no connection fins .

Do you recommend getting new piping installed , from 8mm to 15 ,

Ahh ok , so lower power , better performance and cheaper price .

No,

You need to look at the heat output range, you need a really small boiler for your system heating,

The veissman suggested is probably your optimal solution

Regarding the pipework, depends on the type of microbore installed, just in case it would be wise to budget for a pipe change also.

The rads by the sounds of it would be beneficial to be updated to more efficient convection ones of the same size, if replacing the pipes as well this will be a must

My radiators are not efficient , they are the old type single panel ones with no connection fins .

Not having fins does not mean radiator is less efficient, just means the radiator takes up less wall space. Though higher output would mean boiler could be run at lower temperature resulting in higher boiler efficiency

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back