New Build - Front Door Draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Weve recently moved into a new build property and there is quite a draft from the front door which you can feel in the living room when the "porch" door is open.

Having a feel around the door, there are no obvious places the draft is coming from, but i do notice there is less of a gap at the bottom of the door than there is at the top.

Can any of you experts please advise if this is normal for the fitment of the door? If it should be closer to the door frame? (if so the door frame looks like its out of shape rather than the door been fitted funny!) and do i have grounds to complain about it, because its been installed wrong and needs sorting?

Thanks all

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_2161.JPG IMG_4665.JPG IMG_7113.JPG

Sponsored Links
You can do a simple test to see if the draft seal is properly working. Cut/tear of a strip of paper, anything will do A4 printer paper, newspaper, old envelope. Starting anywhere on the door, place the paper across the frame and close the door to trap the paper, then gently pull the paper. If the seal is good the paper will be pinched tight and it will tear. If on the other hand the draft seal is poor, the paper will simply pull in as you are pulling. Work your way all around the door where you want to check the seal.

You can do a simple test to see if the draft seal is properly working. Cut/tear of a strip of paper, anything will do A4 printer paper, newspaper, old envelope. Starting anywhere on the door, place the paper across the frame and close the door to trap the paper, then gently pull the paper. If the seal is good the paper will be pinched tight and it will tear. If on the other hand the draft seal is poor, the paper will simply pull in as you are pulling. Work your way all around the door where you want to check the seal.
Thank you - will give that a go.

Does it look like its sat right though? Or wold you expect there to be less of a gap?

I would also check around each hinge, from the photos I can make out 2 dirty marks for each hinge on the frame/plaster, this is usually dirt or dust being blown in from outside and can be a telltale sign of a gap, open the door and you MAY see the same dirt in the frame

Sponsored Links
I would also check around each hinge, from the photos I can make out 2 dirty marks for each hinge on the frame/plaster, this is usually dirt or dust being blown in from outside and can be a telltale sign of a gap, open the door and you MAY see the same dirt in the frame
Yeah you right, there is..... If thats the case, what is it that the issue is? the door, the hinges or both?

Cheers

Have the hinges been fitted over the seal or does the seal ride over the hinge, if it does its unusual as most times the seal is under the hinge, without being there its impossible to fully determine, possible the hinge fixings are twisting the frame and breaking the seal between the door and frame, what type of draught excludes are around the frame, are we talking wool pile fur or rubber flipper seals, outer frame may even be q-lon which is just sponge based and is really good and sealing slight indiscrepancies

I did the "paper test", it didn't tear - it pulled out fairly easily!

They are rubber strips!

So you recon i should get the builder back out to have a look?
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back