new build house, nhbc costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone

we have planning to build a house in the garden, plan is to build it sell ours and have no mortgage as we retire.

everything is in place to proceed , but i have a query.

the builder is NHBC registered , and we need NHBC to inspect and do the warranty (the building rges are done by Jhai , the architect has sorted this)

any way , with regards to the nhbc, they have quoted £5300 for the warranty, and all the inspections, based on what they say the finished house will be worth.

i have said that the builder must pay this, and he has agreed.

some one i know has told me i may end up in trouble here, because if the builder pays it, and he is registered to the NHBC, and he has all the inspections done, then it is in effect HIS warranty and not mine ? and as such he would not have to give me it on completion as its not in the contract ?

is this correct ?

Sponsored Links
Speak to a legally trained professional, why would you even take advice like this from the internet?

No it's not correct. The builder must use NHBC for every house he builds and pay for it himself as part of his registration. The house will then be covered, not the builder, and is transferable if you sell.

Sponsored Links
Back