New CDM regulations for domestic work

Have these rules been updated as of April 2024?
I have some questions
1. What if I draw a set of domestic plans solely for gaining planning permission and have nothing to do with the Building Regs? Do I still have responsibilities?
2. If I do a set of regs, can I refuse if the client asks to appoint me?
3. What if I gain planning then it goes to a Building Notice? (kinda the same as question 1)

I only do 2 or 3 jobs a year for friends, but it may be time to call it a day if I need all the adequate insurances and these extra responsibilities.

Sponsored Links
Have these rules been updated as of April 2024?
I have some questions
1. What if I draw a set of domestic plans solely for gaining planning permission and have nothing to do with the Building Regs? Do I still have responsibilities?
3. What if I gain planning then it goes to a Building Notice? (kinda the same as question 1)

I only do 2 or 3 jobs a year for friends, but it may be time to call it a day if I need all the adequate insurances and these extra responsibilities.
Yes but very limited. Drawing something dangerously unbuildable without applying the principles of prevention and/or not passing the information on (for example, with a warning on the drawing) could be a breach of CDM Regs.

No - you are a Designer whether or not you are appointed. You can refuse to be a Principal Designer, but in domestic work, that duty is usually taken up by the Principal Contractor in the construction phase. You may or may not be a PD in the pre-construction phase, but again, the duties are not onerous and you would need to be specifying or ignoring significant hazards to be in breach.

Yes but same answer as 1. You have duties whether you want them or not, but the risks under your control are quite limited and the PD duty transfers to the PC in the construction phase (but you remain as a Designer)

CDM law has been around since 1994 and has not changed since 2015. Insurance isn't a legal requirement and the responsibility is no less today that it was years ago. You should get onto a 'understanding CDM' course or similar. The ACOP L153 is free, easy to read and if you work in construction is a no-brainer to read cover to cover. CDM Regs are not onerous, especially on designers.

I should say - it is a requirement for all Designers & Contractors to be aware of CDM Regs and to ensure others on the project are also aware of them (included Clients) and so you are breaching that regulation already! Get yourself educated, it isn't rocket science.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back