New Double Glazing help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1930s detached property which retains its original Georgian pane single glazed windows. They are in reasonably good condition.
22 Windows in total, about 40m2. One bay window.
We live close to the coast and keeping any kind of paint finish on them is very difficult.
We are in a conservation area.
We have decided to go for double glazing.
A respected local Joiner has quoted 40k to replace in Accoya.
A local window company has offered Nordan Composite Windows for roughly the same price.
I am waiting for another quote for aluminium Windows.
As far as I am aware the local authority would accept upvc flush casement replacements but I do wonder if upvc in a period property would be a problem for future owners.
I am a bit surprised at the prices so far. Do they seem reasonable?

Sponsored Links
We have a 1930s detached property which retains its original Georgian pane single glazed windows. They are in reasonably good condition.
22 Windows in total, about 40m2. One bay window.
We live close to the coast and keeping any kind of paint finish on them is very difficult.
We are in a conservation area.
We have decided to go for double glazing.
A respected local Joiner has quoted 40k to replace in Accoya.
A local window company has offered Nordan Composite Windows for roughly the same price.
I am waiting for another quote for aluminium Windows.
As far as I am aware the local authority would accept upvc flush casement replacements but I do wonder if upvc in a period property would be a problem for future owners.
I am a bit surprised at the prices so far. Do they seem reasonable?

40k isnt out of the way for accoya windows.

You would be wise to see if you consent, esp for upvc.

Flush fitting upvc look pretty good, done well they wouldnt detract from the property.

Residence 9 or 7 are high end flush upvc. Deceunnick are a more budget option.
http://www.deceuninck.com/uk/heritage-flush-sash.aspx

If your property has a stunning period facade, maybe the front? You could do the front in timber and the less important elevations in upvc.

If you choose all wood, dont go for brilliant white, have a softer white, like farrow and ball pointing. The colour looks more natural against period brickwork.

Either way, choose timber for the doors, esp front door. Upvc look carp

These R9's we fitted in a conservation area in Kent

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. We are awaiting a price for Residence 7 windows which do seem very nice.
Sales guy said that these come unglazed. On another forum someone said that the glass bonding should really be done at the Factory.
Are there a number of UK factories making these windows? If so which is the best?

And 'welded mechanical joints'. What are they?
mechanical joints are like a butt joint -which looks more like a wood joint. As opposed to a diagonal mitred welded corner joint that you see on most upvc

so just backing up Notch 7 here, mechanical are literally screwed or bolted together and look more traditional like wooden butt joints. In my experience much more expensive than welded joints

No such thing as welded mechanical joints to my knowledge ( I may be wrong ! ), they are usually mechanical or welded

I think the latest 'timber look' mechanical joints are bonded, don't know how true it is but my manufacturer says it takes longer to make now as they have to wait for the glue to cure fully

I saw this in a magazine yesterday, i’m not sure if that’s an option for you:

760AB376-05B9-49E7-B1A5-53B466E051B2.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back