New Dulux roller cleaner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone in the trade bought one of those Dulux clear plastic roller cleaners, the one you connect up to the garden hose?
I bought one at a trade show and, before anyone say's, muppet! It seemed a good idea at the time and a crisp tenner just fell out my pocket.

Now I happened to find it the other day and thought, give it a go, thing is, it was a thick purdy roller sleeve and it jammed in tight, the water pressure behind it when I switched it on just blew the hose off. I pulled out the frame and left it with the roller stuck inside.

After a month or so I retrieved the sleeve with a pair of long nose pliers and as I had a medium pile roller waiting to clean, in it went for a second go.
The water just found a route down the side of the roller and out the end leaving all the paint still inside on the roller.

I took off the hose and pulled out the roller with the paint still on it! It then went down the garden quicker than I did, narrowly missing my workshop window!

Does anyone out there know how this thing works :(

Sponsored Links
Moral of the story let the missus keep hold of your money! :LOL:

Whats wrong with washing in a sink. Probably take as long in this product than it would in the sink. Grass is not always geener so to speak! ;)

Has anyone in the trade bought one of those Dulux clear plastic roller cleaners, the one you connect up to the garden hose?
I bought one at a trade show and, before anyone say's, muppet! It seemed a good idea at the time and a crisp tenner just fell out my pocket.

Now I happened to find it the other day and thought, give it a go, thing is, it was a thick purdy roller sleeve and it jammed in tight, the water pressure behind it when I switched it on just blew the hose off. I pulled out the frame and left it with the roller stuck inside.

After a month or so I retrieved the sleeve with a pair of long nose pliers and as I had a medium pile roller waiting to clean, in it went for a second go.
The water just found a route down the side of the roller and out the end leaving all the paint still inside on the roller.

Sounds like another AkzoNobel failiure to me, stick to the time and trusted methods mate. ;)

Dec

I took off the hose and pulled out the roller with the paint still on it! It then went down the garden quicker than I did, narrowly missing my workshop window!

Does anyone out there know how this thing works :(

I don't think you can beat those metal implements which look like Capatain Hook's hand, for cleaning rollers. They can be quite therapeutic to use, in fact!

4"rollers once rinsed out a bit can be washed in a washing machine. You're supposed to be able to do that with 9" ones too but when I tried it, they deformed. Perhaps I did them on too high a temperature (50-60 C?)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments fellow Decs, the thing is, when it was on demo the thing worked and it cleaned off the paint pretty nifty in about 30 seconds! I can only assume it was made to fit one particular roller sleeve and they had it!!
I have one of those hooks Emily, but although it cleans off a lot of paint, it still has to be washed and this gizmo did it clean as a whistle. As for asking my beloved if I should be washing my rollers on a cool or hot wash :!:

I normally buy the purdy sleeves, leave them bagged/wet for as long as possible and then bin them rather than clean them.

£5(ish) for a sleeve Vs the time/cost taken to clean them plus the mess in the client's sink. No brainer IMO.

I know some old school boys say that slightly wetting a roller before use helps with the rinse out but I can see why?

never tried a washing machine....

Quite agree opps, I do bag them on a job, sometimes for several weeks, even my paper paste rollers i do the same and yes, wetting them first before using does make it easier to wash them, done that for years.

Would NEVER wash them in a clients sink, always at home.

I bought the Dulux roller cleaner because it cleaned very fast in the demo, not sure how they did it, but my suspicions now are that they had a roller that fitted just right for the demo and not just any old roller you jammed inside.

The other reason I clean up my rollers every now and again is that they use 'Aircraft' grade aluminium for the frame but a cheap old steel washer on the ends. These rust in the bagging process and spit the odd bit of rust out when you are working them.

I use a scrapper to take most of the paint off the sleeve first before I wash them ( which is rare) easier to clean.

I run the edge of the scrapper down the length of the roller and rotate until most is removed.

Quite agree opps, I do bag them on a job, sometimes for several weeks, even my paper paste rollers i do the same and yes, wetting them first before using does make it easier to wash them, done that for years.

Would NEVER wash them in a clients sink, always at home.

I bought the Dulux roller cleaner because it cleaned very fast in the demo, not sure how they did it, but my suspicions now are that they had a roller that fitted just right for the demo and not just any old roller you jammed inside.

The other reason I clean up my rollers every now and again is that they use 'Aircraft' grade aluminium for the frame but a cheap old steel washer on the ends. These rust in the bagging process and spit the odd bit of rust out when you are working them.

True, the paste rollers especially spit out the rust.

Have just found a link to the product you purchased

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBmO4p_GQbo

Looks like something from Ann Summers :oops:

Yes opps, I did wonder if the designer of this gadget had a :idea: when he was out shopping!.
Got to do 2 ceilings and a couple of walls on a job tomorrow, so going to swop my rollers around and try a couple of other brands then do a clean off and see what happens. Before I finally trash it !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back