Roller Sleeve for smooth walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I have just had a wall plasterered and it is ultra smooth and ready for painting with Dulux emulsion (after applying mist coat).

Traditionally, I have used Harris T class roller sleeves in 9 inch fine nap which are shown here:-

http://www.t-class.com/product.asp?id=115

They have given an excellent finish.

Since purchasing Purdy paintbrushes I have been drawn towards the Purdy brand and am considering (following Purdy's advice) using a white Dove 3/8 inch nap roller which are shown here:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Purdy-Roller-...Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item3cb50ba074

Can anyone advise if they believe I would get a better finish with the Purdy than I did with the Harris??

Many thanks

Paul

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If someone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated

I like the purdy rollers but the white dove can lead to paint build up at the edges given how short the nap is.

TBH I normally use the blue and white purdy colossus with floetrol and water in the paint. It is "long" haired but as the paint is made to flow the effect is still smooth.

Additionally you can sand the paint in between coats if you dont want an obvious rollered finish

I have experienced paint off the end of the roller with the harris but I sort of roll it out and it goes away. I always sand between coats.

The question is really, with good technique (which I believe I have) would I expect to get a better finish with the Purdy?

Sponsored Links
My personal choice would be the Purdy, purely because it has a slightly thicker nap. I seem to get better results using a medium pile roller but that could be due to individual technique.

You say the T-Class gives you an excellent finish so why change for the sake of it? Stick to what you know!!

It gives me an excellent finish but I dont know if I could get better thats all

As I said, I personally find that medium pile rollers give a better finish. They don't get the build up on the edges either but you will probably only find out which is best for you by trying the Purdy.

So Mister, you are suggesting that you get a better finish with a medium roller than a fine?!

Indeed I am, but as stated that could be down to my individual technique.

I always ended up with those annoying run-off lines that needed re-rollering so gave up on short pile many moons ago and have never looked back.

wooster pro dooz is the best i've used and seems to be lasting well, washes ok and leaves an excellent finish

I too prefer the wooster rollers and brushes but they are difficult to get hold of in London if you are North of the Thames and they don't do special bundles. (eg i can get 5 purdy sleeves in a pack for £18 rather than the individual price of £5 each)

The other advantage of Wooster and Purdy is that you don't need to de-fluff them first.

Opps, trade1st (just google) have a really good range of wooster gear, been using a two inch wooster exquisit pro for a while and it is fantastic. The only drawback is it sheds alot of hairs to begin with which is very annoying but worth sticking with as the finish is incredible

Thanks- didn't realise they sell them now.

I use a lot of the pro ultra firms and have never had a hair fall out- IMO the brush is way better than any of the Purdy ones this side of the pond

Price wise the brush is what I normally pay but thier mini rollers are cheaper- also they are the only ones that done expand in shellac

ta

Yep agree, i've got three 3" purdys, the first lasted years, the second and third have worn down incredibly quickly.
I've tried the ultra -pro and use the three inch for cutting in emulsion but found they don't have enough body for gloss work so thats when i moved over to the natural bristle, you should try one its a great brush. Its also the first time i've used a natural bristle brush, is bristle loss common in all natural brushes?

Most of my painting is cabinet painting with oil based eggshell.

I love the ultra pro because they retain their shape, usefull for the narrow styles and rails.- paint loading is poor but I use owatrol in the paint to help it flow.

I last purchased natural bristles (purdy) about 10 years ago and got fed up with snapping tips- i don't have the time to break them in so I gave the box away.

Natural bristles are not as well suited to waterbased and yes hair loss is more common.

The only thing i don't like about the wooster brushes is that they don't fit the BrushMate 4 very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back