New flat roof- joist hangers direct to walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, building an extension for the outlaws, never done a flat roof before. Architect had one side of the lists hung off joist hangers and the other side let in to the double leaf outer wall. I was wondering if I could joist hangers both sides, so after a convo with the shed, and a convo with Simpson tech help desk, it seems I can use joist hangers as long as they are bolted to the walls with two fixings each joist. Even in to thermalight blocks.

Has anyone done this themselves?

Ta duck,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Which hangers are you refering to ?

Hangers to an existing wall is standard practice.

What is wrong with sitting the flat roof joists onto the blockwork on the outerleaf wall ? Far better detail.
Why would you want to use a hanger on the outer wall ?

In my 15 years, Ive never once reccomended bolting a hanger to a newly built wall nor have I heard simspsons suggest it either. (And I use simpsons for all my metalwork).

Out of interest, what did your shed suggest ? :D

Simpson strong tie sae 250/76

Have decided to hang them on the one side as originally suggested, but use the above straight on to block. Shed wasn't much use really! Building inspector happy to go with what ever manufacture said.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back