New floor dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a problem thats be pestering my mind for a while, i was hoping a more experienced person could lend a guiding hand.

I have a room like this....

The flooring is laid (against my advice without removing the skirting first to give no need for trim).

The door opens practically flush with the wall, however the wall (vertical length) needs an edging trim for a laminate floor. Obviously it i run it right upto the door Jamb, it will catch on the door.

I've considered Sanding down the edging to give clearance (generally ruins the edging be it plastic or MDF). Cutting a small portion out of the doors bottom corner (not the best with honeycomb doors), or angling the trim so it suddenly runs 90deg and into the wall...leaving a small untrimmed edge where the door opens.

How do you go about solving this problem correctly?

Sponsored Links
I'd go with getting some soft wood- 4mm x 20 or 25 or 30mm (the measurements depend on the size of the expansion gap + 5mm).

Stain and oil it to match the floor and use it (via nail pins in to the flooring)instead of a scotia, quadrant or whatever you have used as the whole perimeter bead.

With a profile as low as 4mm you may get away without the existing door being trimmed to prevent it catching, if it catches there's only going to be a slight trim of the door required.

You can get 4mm strip via a wood yard, but they may have to cut it for you (most stock 6mm+ ). A few weeks back I bought 24m of 4mm x 25, some stain, oil, pins and a few 1mm drills (to pilot hole the strip and the oak flooring before pining) for less than £20.
Pre stain and oil the wood !

luckily the door is just high enough to avoid clashing, so i've managed to have the trim fitted right up to the edge, certainly take what you said on board (apparently i did such a good job i've been roped into doing her sisters bedroom...charity sure takes its toll on the body!).

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back