new floor for old garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a precast garage (3m x 6m) built on a 6 inch concrete base. When it rains the floor gets wet around the edges. I've sealed where the precast slab meets the base so I guess water must be making its way up from underneath the floor. I reckon I need to raise the floor by 60mm to resolve the problem. I have 3 ideas not sure which is best:

1 Polythene sheet and then screed.

2 Polythene sheet and then concrete.

3 Polythene sheet and then ply sitting on pressure treated timber.

Also, I've seen some black bitumen type stuff used in the place of polythene sheets, is it any good?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the joints of your precast panels because that is the most likely point for water coming in and running down onto the floor?

How have you sealed around the edges, with silicone or something similar or do you have concrete filets around the edges.

Sponsored Links
I have double checked all the joints and the water is defo coming from the floor. I've sealed the bottom edges with sand & cement and still it keeps coming.

Is there a maximum depth that I can screed to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back