New floor too hot for vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate views/advice from plumbers...

As part of a building project, we had some central heating radiators installed with 15mm plastic speedfit supply & return pipes running beneath the concrete screed (& insulation) on the ground floor but there is a problem of a hot floor surface close to one radiator. The concrete screed has now fully dried out and I'm ready to have the floor prepared to lay sheet vinyl flooring.

This 'problem' radiator was installed just inside the old part of the building, around a couple of feet from where the new floor joins the old. For most of the run, the pipes supplying this radiator run deep in the new flooring but then rise close to the surface for the last couple of feet in the old floor. The pipes run in a shallow channel cut into the old floor which was then covered by concrete screed at the same time as the entire new floor was screeded. Not surprisingly, it's above this shallow channel where the floor gets quite hot. I measured a surface floor temperature of 47C. From what I read, that's far too hot to lay sheet vinyl - though it would be helpful if someone with experience could confirm that.

My question is: how would a proficient plumber have installed plastic pipes in the old part of the floor to prevent such a hot floor surface. Measurement details (e.g. depths) would be helpful, as would details of any insulation you would use, thanks.

Sponsored Links
My question is: how would a proficient plumber have installed plastic pipes in the old part of the floor to prevent such a hot floor surface. Measurement details (e.g. depths) would be helpful, as would details of any insulation you would use, thanks.

Did you discuss floor finish and temperature limits with your installer, and request that the pipes were insulated to keep the temperature down as you were planning a sensitive surface, or did you just assume they had a crystal ball?

Thick pipe insulation would certainly prevent hot spots, but as the heat coming from the floor is useful in heating the room and not being wasted, it's not usually considered a problem if the floor gets warm

Did you discuss floor finish and temperature limits with your installer, and request that the pipes were insulated to keep the temperature down as you were planning a sensitive surface, or did you just assume they had a crystal ball?

Thick pipe insulation would certainly prevent hot spots, but as the heat coming from the floor is useful in heating the room and not being wasted, it's not usually considered a problem if the floor gets warm

Whilst I haven't looked into it thoroughly (so I could be wrong), figures I've seen suggest the max floor temperature even for carpet and ceramic tiles is around 35C. I suspect no floor covering would be happy with 47C beneath it. From your reply, I'm guessing that plumbers wouldn't normally give consideration to floor surface temperatures?

Sponsored Links
No they wouldn't but good practice would be to insulate the pipes in the slab. Leaving them uninsulated under the block and beam is just about ok, but as UFH is run at about 35C, you wouldn't heat a concrete slab with central heating pipes, otherwise it can crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back