New garden office project.. cladding help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I received great support on my roofing question but now I have another one..

Building a garden office and have a question on the cladding..

Thinking about trying something different on the cladding rather than featherboard and have come across this.. (flexi slate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvhXiv0hAEs

My question is how would you apply it to a wooden structure.. meaning;

1) timber frame
2) insulation
3) breather membrane
4) OSB board?
5) finally the flexi slate

Just trying to work out whether the breather membrane comes before or after the boarding? and what I should fix the flexi slate too?

Thanks for your help..

Sponsored Links
Versapanel cement particle board is fairly inexpensive and used in the construction trade often as a carrier board. Carrying render etc.

I have a garden room build in the projects section on here where I used this board.

The wall make up was : Plasterboard, vapour barrier, 4x2 timber frame with insulation inside, Tyvek breather membrane. I then had vertical timber straps to allow a gap for ventilating the wall and attached my versapanel onto this with stainless screws(countersunk).
I finished the panels off with a high build render paint but you could bond your stone look onto this surface.

Here is a link to mine to see the cement particle board.
//www.diynot.com/forums/your-p...arage-with-garden-room-inc-store-room.361658/

Thanks FMCK..

Had a look at your thread.. it looks great..

Also had a look at the cement board.. A great product but as I'll need to cover c60m2 (building is 5m x 6m) it works out very expensive (around £500+) for the boards.

Would OSB board work? Or any other cheaper alternatives..

Thanks for your help..

I would be reluctant to use OSB unless the covering will be flexible such as a slate roof or rubber. The material will expand and contract to break a bond with anything that is of rigid bond.

I got 1.2m x 2.4m x 10mm versapanel from SIG at £16.24 a panel + £20 delivery. A while ago now mind.

This material will not move with climate or very marginal as I have seen and I live in a coastal environment. Its similar to the backing board they sell for bathroom tiling for this reason.

You could always try speaking to the manufacturers of slate lite for some advise.

Sponsored Links
Great thanks.

I understand the backing of the slate tiles is a flexible PVC material so based on your assessment OSB should be OK.

Apologies I'm a complete novice at this (thankfully I'll have my builder friend helping me when I start!) but you mentioned you added vertical timber straps between the breather membrane and board.. is this a must for ventilation?

And lastly.. all of the projects I've found on here start with a concrete base. I was thinking to do the base using timber posts? I presume there are pros and cons to either method?

I would make sure your cover is 100% waterproof if going with OSB.

Yes the wall must ventilate or it will become damp.

If you have suitable foundations then you could build a building on small plinths to keep the timbers off the ground. I wouldn't be inclined to start putting standards into the ground like fence posts if that's what your meaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back