New garden office project.. roof help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this site pulling loads of information to help my project however, I'm hoping some one can help...?

I'm building a garden office and needed some help to understand what's the max span of a flat roof which is not supported. I've uploaded a picture which will hopefully help explain.

The overall building is 6m x 6m which includes a 0.5m overhang at the front. I'm really concerned with the overhang above the door which is 2m long by 2m wide and unsupported. Can you see this being an issue??

I'm using 9x2 6m beams @ 400mm spacing so I know the span load is OK.. Its just the unsupported bit?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you will have the weight of the over hang counterbalanced by at least approx 4x6m of 9x2x6metre joists(plus everything they are attached to!). have you lifted one of your joists yet? im guessing each one will weigh about 35 kgs.

you can do the maths but i wouldnt worry about it unless you plan on having a party on that corner of the roof: )

The beams supporting the over hanging roof may need to be tied down to the wall to prevent them being lifted by winds blowing into the area under the over hang. In exposed areas with strong winds the tie down may need to extend down to the foundations to prevent damage to the wall.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back