New heating system - Victorian semi - Viessmann 200W?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relatively long set of bullets to allow me to collect my thoughts, mainly for my architect, but thought I would run by here to get some feedback. I hope there is enough context and questions. Sorry if I got anything major wrong I'm a noob at this...

• Current setup
    • 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, 3000 sq ft, semi-detached, Victorian 1890’s build
    • Family of four, kids 10 and 7, will be busy times for showers in the morning before school / work and evenings before bed
    • Heating: ~20 radiators, about 15 recently replaced on upper floors, attempted to oversize for T40-ish
    • Current system: 37 kW system boiler, 250 litre unvented cylinder located in kitchen
    • most external walls are already insulated (1 inch ish polystyrene), we will put in new double glazed windows everywhere, and I have been adding insulation to the loft with the goal to get 200mm
  • Planned works / reason for change
    • We are doing a side return extension which will open up the kitchen and force us to move the boiler & cylinder
    • Adding underfloor heating to kitchen (about 50 sq m) and currently unheated basement (about 40 sq m)
  • Goals
    • Balanced cost to install / cost to run – economics need to make sense
    • Reduce energy usage
    • Future proof
    • Re-use where possible, e.g. existing cylinder
  • Options considered
    • Heat pump – was excited about this but really could not find a way to make the economics work
    • Electric boiler – currently on single phase, and even if we convert to three phase still not enough output, as I understand a ceiling of 100% efficiency would be v expensive at UK prices compared to gas
    • Move to combi – feels like a step back
    • Move to combi storage – I like the looks of the Viessman 111 or 222, but again seems like a step back
  • What I’m thinking
    • Re-use existing cylinder (but it’s giant, perhaps oversized??) but if no reason to change we will keep
    • Replace boiler with Viessmann Vitodens 200W – seems like a good solution for tech, weather compensation, modulation, efficiency
    • Move both to basement if the flue works, else keep the boiler in the kitchen and move the cylinder to basement
    • Leverage all the tech in ‘advanced’ weather compensation, no room controls
    • Hot water priority
    • Two or three zones with different heating curves: 1) upper floor rads, 2) kitchen UFH, 3) basement UFH
    • After doing a bunch of research I came across this excellent video from Urban Plumbers which seems to describe almost exactly what I was thinking:
  • Questions
    • What size boiler do I need – all the boiler companies are telling me the 32kW which I fear could be overkill, and also in this boiler I think would not modulate as low?
    • Are there any other boilers other than the 200W I should consider?
    • Should I split zones for kitchen UFH and basement UFH? Kitchen will be used many hours a day, and basement much less.
    • Any downside to only using weather compensation?
    • Any recommendations on who could do this work for me, I’m in London – SE14
    • What else should I think of?

Sponsored Links
See attached for help.
1. Do heat loss calculation; initially a quick calculation to get a feel for load then detailed calculation as per attached template.
PM me and I will share some reading material to get you up to speed.

Attachments

• Calculation-tool-for-design-of-low-temperature-domestic-heating-systems---V1.2 (3).zip
    459.1 KB · Views: 62

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back