New Highway Code Rules, All Good For Cyclists But How Do We ID Bad Ridders?

Reaction score
Country
Palau
Just saw this.
I feel the rider should have moved over a bit and the small car driver drive across the white lines, so fair cop.

However, I'm not sure if you've seen pushbike riders nearly knock over people at crossings, jump red lights, ride on pavements and then road and pavements, shoot down pavements and I saw someone get knocked down as she came out onto the pavement from her front path but no way to ID the hit and run rider.

Its good that new laws are in place as it does not bother me as I'd already given them and horses lots of room but it has to work both ways and pushbike riders must have some forum of easily identifiable ID on their bike/clothing/jacket.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...yclists-warning-motorists-speed-video-footage

Sponsored Links
Straight forward technical breach as he crossed the centre of the road when it was unsafe. Had he stayed on his own side of the road it would have been fine.

As humans we seem to think we are on a level with pedestrians when riding a bicycle, hence people shout at pedestrians to get out of the way when on a bike but would not dream of not stopping if they were in a car.

Car driver in the wrong as there is no reason why he couldn't stay in the confines of his own lane.
The car on the left didn't help matters as, if he/she hadn't been parked in that manner, the cyclists would not have needed to be so far out in the road.
Regarding your comment about the cyclist moving over. Why should they? They have the right to cycle within the confines of that side of the road, just the same as a car. Imagine if they had moved over and someone in the car had opened a door without looking. It doesn't appear as though anyone was in the car, (for whatever reason), but I was once approaching what I thought was an empty vehicle, only to see someone sit up from leaning over the seats as I was approaching.

I feel the rider should have moved over a bit and the small car driver drive across the white lines, so fair cop.

Why should the rider have moved over? He was completely on his side of the road, and avoiding a car that could suddenly move, or open its doors, without notice.
The car driving the other way was deliberately intimidating the cyclists by driving towards them.

Roads were made for people, not for car drivers. Cyclist, walkers, horse riders have as much right to use them.

A friend lost a work colleague years ago - cyclist was knocked off his bike. The driver was caught, and went to caught. When ask why he did it, he replied "I don't like cyclists".

People should not be allowed on the roads if they have such hatred for other road users.

Sponsored Links
Straight forward technical breach as he crossed the centre of the road when it was unsafe. Had he stayed on his own side of the road it would have been fine.

As humans we seem to think we are on a level with pedestrians when riding a bicycle, hence people shout at pedestrians to get out of the way when on a bike but would not dream of not stopping if they were in a car.

Re the first paragraph, agreed

The right of way was the cars and the pushbike rider moved to very close of the white lines and was some distance from the parked car. By right of way I mean a parked vehicle on your side of the road you give way to oncoming traffic.
I follow the law/rules and if I was on the bike and the small car was coming from the other side at speed (most likely within the limit)
I would have stopped on my bike as I would have done if driving my car as the small white car had the right of way.

The law should work both ways and from what I have seen on the roads, pushbike riders, quite a large minority appear to totally disregard the rules as they know they often can't be identified for obvious reasons. (I'm not referring to this incident)

Until pushbike riders are made to display ID's just like cars, have insurance, lights front and back, bell and wear a hi-vis jacket and a helmet, the car drivers, on the whole, will get done and by that I mean the rider nearly knocks over a pedestrian on the pavement but if a car driver did that most likely they'd get banged to rights for obvious reasons.

Nothing worse that unidentifiable bad ridders.

The point the car passes the cyclist was before the cyclist passed the stopped vehicle and there was no reason for the driver not to be on his own side of the road. One can’t help thinking it might have been deliberate to intimidate the cyclist to move over.

The point the car passes the cyclist was before the cyclist passed the stopped vehicle and there was no reason for the driver not to be on his own side of the road. One can’t help thinking it might have been deliberate to intimidate the cyclist to move over.

There may be a bit more to the story than we are aware if, tis possible.

I would have stopped on my bike as I would have done if driving my car as the small white car had the right of way.

The bike stayed well on their side of the road. The car did not, it clearly crossed the line when I didn't need to. Police / court report said that the driver was using “excessive speed”. You really can't defend this sort of behaviour. The cyclists did nothing at all wrong.

There was no need for a bike to stop to overtake a stationary car with that much space. If they did, you'd probably then be moaning about cyclist erratically stopping in the middle of the road.

Roads were not made exclusively for people driving at 60mph in cars.

If he was trying to frighten the bike, fair enough.

Otherwise, there was enough space so what's the problem? Excess speed? What law or sense applies here? If within the speed limit, who says slow down for bikes?
If it's a 60mph limit, the bike rider knows that.
Sometime a car might have to pull out to miss something, in which case it's not illegal to cross the centreline.
As a cycle rider I've often had cars overtake within a couple of feet - that's fine. What's the issue? Windage?

Sometime a car might have to pull out to miss something, in which case it's not illegal to cross the centreline.

I don't know the law of the Highway Code, but the Highway Code states, on the very first part on Overtaking:

Before overtaking you should make sure
  • the road is sufficiently clear ahead
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-overtaking.html

A cyclist coming the other way does not make a road "clear".

Also.

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so.

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215).

But this is not about overtaking a cyclist, it is speeding driver getting as close to a cyclist as he can to scare them. Pretty obvious from the video. Maybe the lane was narrow, but it still had a line down the middle, anybody crossing that line without need is either blind, stupid or a ****. Probably all 3.

He wasn't overtaking. That doesn't apply.
It was clear enough. He didn't hit anything.
The cyclist didn't alter his line, he just carried on coasting. It made no difference
I don't know what the driver had in front of him, neither do you. Looks a bit rural, sometimes veg sprouts out a foot or so.

The cyclist was in no, zero, nil, danger.

"But this is not about overtaking a cyclist" so you wasted your time, then, as that's what you've been ranting on about....
"it is speeding driver" We don't know if he was "speeding" or not. You can't make things up to make a case.
"getting as close to a cyclist as he can to scare them." .... and I excluded that already, please read.....
"anybody crossing that line without need is" ..... you have no idea if he had need or not. In any case, it didn't actually need the slightest adjustment by the cyclist.

So you're talking about a situation which wasn't there, and claiming with zero evidence, and accusing an imagined condition which has already been dealt with, when the incident appears to have had absolutely no consequence.

Case dismissed.

Will you be on baggy trousers next? (More tosh probably made up by a dumb newspaper): https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...ousands-wearing-baggy-jeans-highway-code-rule

Re the first paragraph, agreed

The right of way was the cars, (only on HIS SIDE of the road where there was NO OBSTRUCTION), and the pushbike rider moved to very close of the white lines, (to give himself clearance around the parked car but no parts of his bike or body crossed the white line), and was some distance from the parked car. By right of way I mean a parked vehicle on your side of the road you give way to oncoming traffic. (Only if there is insufficient room for both vehicles to safely pass).
I follow the law/rules and if I was on the bike and the small car was coming from the other side at speed (most likely within the limit)
I would have stopped on my bike as I would have done if driving my car as the small white car had the right of way. (As above, only on his side of the road).

The law should work both ways and from what I have seen on the roads, pushbike riders, quite a large minority appear to totally disregard the rules as they know they often can't be identified for obvious reasons. (I'm not referring to this incident)

Until pushbike riders are made to display ID's just like cars, have insurance, lights front and back, bell and wear a hi-vis jacket and a helmet, the car drivers, on the whole, will get done and by that I mean the rider nearly knocks over a pedestrian on the pavement but if a car driver did that most likely they'd get banged to rights for obvious reasons.

In this instance the car driver was clearly out to intimidate/frighten the cyclist(s).

If he was trying to frighten the bike, fair enough.

Otherwise, there was enough space so what's the problem? Excess speed? What law or sense applies here? If within the speed limit, who says slow down for bikes?
If it's a 60mph limit, the bike rider knows that.
As a cycle rider I've often had cars overtake within a couple of feet - that's fine. What's the issue? Windage?

Agreed.

Looks like no one wants bike riders to be easily identifiable.

I've lost count the number of times I've seen cycle riders on the pavement, weaving in and out traffic dangerously, nearly knocking poeple/children over on crossings and pavements and hitting car door mirrors and not bothering to stop.

there must be more to it than what is printed

Sponsored Links
Back