New Hot water cylinder - connection height query

its about 2 meters away,but also one metre lower - the boiler is in the garage and the cylinder is in the airing cupboard which is next to the garage but on the 1st floor. Pipework wise its got to be 3.5 meters ish.

Sponsored Links
On the next floor above boiler . thats OK than !

Rule of thumb on gravity cylinders is 3 foot thermal centres , centre of coil centre of boiler ! = 3 foot approx !!

some cylinders are next to the boiler on a raised platform , some older cylinders had coil connections wider apart , newer ones close together !

Been in builders merchants a few times when some have brought cylinders back complaining they do not work :) or take longer to heat up ! lost ther thermal centres !!

BHM, is your current set up a PUMPED cylinder primary?

If so that will give you a good reheat at about 50% or less of the time taken on a gravity primary.

Even fitting a pumped fast recovery cylinder will only reheat about 33% faster.

Unless you have special needs I dont see that reheat time is that important !

Tony

Sponsored Links
No i have gravity primary HW and pumped CH.

Reheat time is not really important to me or my family, i was purely thinking of gas usage, thinking that if the cylinder would heat upto 60 degrees in 30 mins as opposed to 60 mins, i would be saving alot of gas over the whole year.

Already done. Cavity done, loft 300mm, 70mm bag on cylinder, and A rated windows. Kindly done by the previous OAP couple who lived here. I presume they got it for free.

As far as i see it there is no room for improvement on the insulation front.

Its little difference in efficiency by reheating faster.

However, as I said above you can reheat in about half the time by pumping the primary of the cylinder.

That will cost a lot less than replacing the cylinder!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back