Replacement hot water cylinder question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to replace my hot water cylinder (open vented pumped indirect). It's about 20 years old and predictably the flow for the indirect coil is considerably lower down the old tank compared to any new tank I have looked at. So I'll have to modify some of the pipe work.

At the moment the 3 way valve is at the same level as the flow into the indirect coil on the side of the old cylinder. When I put the new cylinder in with the flow into the coil being a few inches higher, I was thinking of just bending a new pipe and connecting it onto the new flow.

However if I do this I'm thinking I'm asking for airlocks as the top of the indirect coil will be above the level of the 3 way valve. Should I modify the whole lot so as the 3 way valve is level with the new flow into the cylinder?, or is is acceptable to fit a vent at the top of the new pipe into the coil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back