Air lock after cylinder change??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just DIY changed my hot water cylinder (indirect cylinder/ vented system) straight swap with identical cylinder and I’m struggling to get the heating and hot water to work together.

I select heating only on the controller and the radiators get hot but when I want to have heating and hot water I get neither. I’ve noticed the top pipe into the cylinder coil is hot but the bottom coil pipe is cold so I’m wondering if there’s an airlock in the coil?? Also the pump seems to be louder than normal making swishing noises.

So far I’ve closed all radiator valves and opened the heating drain valve and let it run for 10 mins (had a few splutters of air but nothing much) and while I was letting the water flow I have moved the 3 port valve to all positions to try and encourage it to flush the coil. Following that opened the rad valves and bled all of them starting downstairs. Then open the vent above the pump.

Thinking back on the hot pipe into the coil and cold pipe out I’m led to think there’s air in the coil.

What do the pro’s think about the coil airlock

And If so how best get rid of it??

Sponsored Links
Can you bleed the pump? How about putting the speed up higher? That’s the limit of my knowledge, sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back