New Installation Q pt3 (Shower)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last question, honest.

Side storey single extension incorporating a bathroom that is to be fitted with an 8.5Kw Triton shower.

To save ripping up the flooring and trying to run 10mm T+E round all of the other services under there, we suggested that it be run OUTSIDE the house. Nowhere near as bad as it sounds as this will be down the side of the house (where it can hardly be seen) and in plastic conduit (not the clip-on stuff).

The total cable run from CU to shower will be 26 feet. A new CU is to be fitted. One electrician (the one who came recommended by others) has said that 6mm T+E will be fine.

I realise that there are many factors to be considered for cable size, but I understood that a rule-of-thumb was anything over 8Kw should be 10mm. Obviously I don't want to start questioning a pro, but I'd like to feel comfortable about what I don't understand (hence my two previous posts!).

Again, thanks for any feedback, it is both usefull and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That cables rated for 40amps i think. What if you upgrade the shower to a more powerful one? TBH I'd always run a shower radial in 10mm to give you upgrade possibilities.

To future proof your installation I would fit 10mm T+E, you may want to fit a 9.5kw or 10.5kw electric shower in the future?

Sponsored Links
Good luck running 10mm in plastic conduit. Have you thought about what diameter you'll need - don't forget about spacing requirements.

Personally, i'd run 10mm SWA outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back