new light to wire outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have brought a new outside light for out the front of our house, i haven't done any wiring before (besides wiring a plug), looking at the new light theres wires hanging inside, how do i connect them to the original wires coming out the wall outside? i take it i cant just connect them and use electrical tape on them can i??

Sponsored Links
I think nobody knows quite where to start in advising you.

"how do i connect them to the original wires coming out the wall outside?"

Using terminal blocks, often referred to as choc-blocks (which usually come supplied with the new fitting). But please, please, isolate the supply to the existing cable before you go messing about with it.

...and make sure any connections are then contained within any waterproof parts of the light...

Sponsored Links
sorry i am not the best at explaining myself...
the light i purchased has wires inside coming out which are supposed to connect to the existing wires where the original old light was on the front of the house. (that still makes no sense does it? hehe...)
i know wot u mean bout choc-blocks - went onto screw-fix, will purchase some before i get started.
it should all be water-proof its got a cover, then the casing/housing goes over this....
will let u know how i get on this afternoon.
thanks dingbat & johnnyt

Spiderman you still ain't said how you got on. Hope you aint given yourself an Afro mate.
TS.

spiderman123 said:
can no-one help?

were not paid to have under 1hour response 24H per day. just wait like everyone else and someone will reply. impatient ****.

wait until the fifth of november.connect light then and save on fireworks.
sorry but a certain degree of competence is required to carry out even minor electricial works,this is to ensure safety.
so please do not be dissapointed if you do not get many replies here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back