Outside Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the problem.

I have a new house, and the electrical contractor installed the wiring for 3 outside lights (and capped them), with a switch inside the house.

I have now purchased 3 outside lanterns, and I'm ready to install.

I have removed the 3 caps, 2 of them reveal four core wiring (easy to connect to the outside lanterns using the supplied 3 way terminal block, whilst ignoring and taping up the non-required yellow cable)

The other cap reveals 2 sets of four core cable (one must go to the switch), now my problem is how to connect this lantern correctly, using the 3 way terminal block fitted inside the lantern. Or do I need a 4 way terminal block before I start?

Sponsored Links
Could the cable loop in and out again? ie red to red etc.....???

How do you know one goes to switch?

Get a MM and check the cores of each cable to ascertain what each one does.

It know it goes to a switch cos I asked the electrician to install one. I don't have a multimeter, so am just looking for a quick solution. I did try wiring both reds together, both green together and both blue together, but that just gave me a permanent live. Any more suggestions?

Sponsored Links
With three core and earth cable I would guess that you have a permanent live on the red / blue pair and a switched live on the yellow. It may be that he hass supplied connections for fittings that need a permanent and switched supply.

Have a look at the switch that should tell you what's what

JJ99 said:
I don't have a multimeter
Then buy one. It is as essential as the screwdrivers that you will use to connect the wires and fix the lanterns. You should not be attempting to do anything electrical unless you have one.

They don't break the bank, and they are worth their weight in gold for things like fault-finding and detecting what wires do what - it fact just right for your job!!

you can pick up multimeters for about a tenner

sure they don't last but for occasional use i really don't see a problem with them

And accuracy isn't really an issue - if it reads 226V when it should read 238V for example it still tells you which is live....

As suggested I removed the switch cover........ and found a socket box full of colourfull spaghetti!

I'm calling a spark to tackle this one.

thanks for the help everyone.

and after drinking a cup of tea, the next thing he will do is get his meter out

Will the meter install the cables in the correct terminals? Will it give me an NICEIC certificate? And how will he make a brew if the eleccy is off?

By wiring an outlet for his kettle, in parallel to the meter tails. :D

why would the electric kettle not work, if working on a lighting cct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back