help needed adding light please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and thanks in advance, I want to add an outside pir lantern at my front door, I have been told that I can replace the single switch in my front passage for a double switch, and wire my lantern in from there, as it would just be a case of taking the switch out, drilling the wall to outside and feeding the lantern cable through the wall and into the switch. I have been told that I can loop a piece of wire from the live connection for passage light to other side of switch, then join into that a live to the lantern, a switched live from other side of switch to the lantern and then obviously earth of switch to earth of lantern. is this the correct way of looping in at the switch rather than at ceiling rose, I am showing 2 pics, one with original old wiring from passage light, then the intended link wires.
005.JPG
006.JPG
006.JPG

Sponsored Links
You cannot. You do not have a neutral.

You will need to replace the cable from existing light (where there will be a fourth neutral terminal) to the switch with 3core+earth.

don't understand what you mean, replace cable from existing light. do you basically mean, wire it the way as in diagram but also run another wire from switch up to ceiling rose ? if so, I guess the neutral bank in rose, but to which side of the switch ?? and thanks for answering mate

Sponsored Links
I am following your diagram except for 1 thing, what is the black oblong you have placed in the neutral from rose to lantern ? cheers

so what you are saying is, wire one side the switch the way of the original wiring for passage light, then loop a wire across for a live feed, then a neutral ( blue wire )from ceiling rose to lantern, earth of lantern to earth of switch and Live ( brown ) from other side of switch to the lantern

Yes, but if you wire the lantern from the ceiling rose, you will still need an additional wire (for lantern switched live) from existing light to switch - and a connector block at the ceiling rose.

Yes, but if you wire the lantern from the ceiling rose, you will still need an additional wire (for lantern switched live) from existing light to switch - and a connector block at the ceiling rose.

I am totally lost now mate, I am not wanting to wire it from the rose, basically I want to swap a single switch to a double switch, one switch for original passage light, and the other switch to power the pir lantern ( the switch will not be turned off, but the option would be there should the need arise ) so the alteration you done to my drawing still would not work the way it is in the picture ?, without adding more wires ??

without adding more wires
The two options are either add a neutral to the switch location and connect the lantern at the switch as in the diagrams already shown
or connect the new lantern at the rose and add a switched line to the switch location.

There is no way of installing the new lantern without adding a wire from the rose to the switch. This will almost certainly mean hacking out the wall/ceiling to get the new wire in.

I am not wanting to wire it from the rose
But that is where you will have to get a neutral from. There is no neutral in your switch.
the alteration you done to my drawing still would not work the way it is in the picture ?, without adding more wires ??
First, there is no way of looping in at the switch unless you have a neutral there. You don't appear to.

Look at the diagram EFLI altered for you.

Imagine the four wires shown linking your existing light to the switch (Neutral, Live, Switched live for existing light and earth). There is one more wire than you appear to have at the moment (the neutral).

So, if you replace the current cable linking the existing light with the switch with a three core and earth, and connect up to the neutral in the existing light, you can then do as you suggest and run a twin and earth cable from the existing switch, connecting it up as per the diagram EFLI altered.

The black rectangle EFLI added represents a terminal block inside the switch box to which you attach the neutral wire from the existing light fitting to the neutral wire going out to the new lantern.

So if I follow this diagram, the lantern will have power from the switch ? with only taking a neutral from rose to lantern ( meaning no other wires to or from rose ) the only other wires would be from switch to lantern ??
Thanks for the replies guys, it really is appreciated

Attachments

• correct wiring.png
    correct wiring.png
    953.1 KB · Views: 145
Yes. The supply to the lantern is made up of:

Switched live: from switch
Earth: from switch
Neutral: from ceiling rose via switch (but not connected to switch)

Plan A, Plan B again, folks.

You are trying to use jc as a pair of remote hands worked by you.

And in that you are doing him a disservice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back