New member with a high pressure problem - gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to this site and am looking for some advice with my high pressure problem. I have an old Crane boiler that runs off gas and last weekend I needed to replace a leaking gasket above the circulator. Ever since that point the pressure is not stabilizing, and with sub zero temperatures in the Northeast I can't shut it down. I've replaced the valve above the diaphram expansion tank (tank bottom is cold, tank top is hot), I even relieved the tank of any air via the bleeder at the bottom. I also tried adjusting the pressure reducing valve by turning it clockwise after the pressure rose and it made no change. Usually, I'd expect the boiler to maintain no more than 15 psi (as indicated by a red needle), however every time it turns on it rises to above 25 psi and then I get concerned and shut it down. Please help.

Sponsored Links
My father was a graduate trainee with Crane when he was young!

When I was small he took me round their foundry where they made brass valves!

However, I would expect that a Crane boiler would normally be unpressurised and getting on for 50 years old!!!

Just how old is yours?

Are you sure that its designed to be pressurised?

You are meant to PRESSURISE the air valve that you have released the pressure from! That may be the root of your problem. Look in FAQ for expansion vessel!

Tony

Yes I'm 100% sure it's pressurized as I have a twin running another apartment in the house. That boiler never sees over 13 psi, and has a larger expansion tank built into the ceiling. Are you saying that I shouldn't have relieved the air from the tank? Is there a preferred way to adjust the pressure reducing valve? Any other things I should be looking for?

The only way I can reduce the pressure is by opening the valve above the circulator, and releasing the hot water into a bucket...

Look in FAQ topic in the list on this site for repressurising the expansion vessel.

Be aware that you have a VERY old and unusual system!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony...appreciate it

Well I've spent a half hour seaching and can't find any details, the search comes up with nothing related to tank repressurizing, and more to do with unrelated topics that just happen to have a string "expansion tank" in the text. Is anyone willing to provide detailed instructions on this process?

Thanks Tony...appreciate it

Well I've spent a half hour seaching and can't find any details, the search comes up with nothing related to tank repressurizing, and more to do with unrelated topics that just happen to have a string "expansion tank" in the text. Is anyone willing to provide detailed instructions on this process?

Thats not surprising if you search for "expansion tank" !

I asked you to search for "expansion vessel"

The whole point of the FAQ is to enable people to see instructions for routine tasks without those giving free advice wasting their time typing the same things several times a week.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back