New paint bubbling and peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am painting my bedroom and was painting white matt emulsion over cream matt emulsion. Last week I painted one coat, and this week decided to paint a second. When I was painting under the window I noticed bubbling on the original first coat it had cracked so I removed the loose paint which went down to the plaster. Another patch came off on the roller again going own to the plaster. I thought by removing loose bubbling paint and sanding the edges and repainting all would be ok. Now I have 2 patches that are much whiter on the patches and stand out terribly from the rest of the wall. What can I do now??? I want it to blend in!!!

Sponsored Links
Any bare plaster should ideally be treated first with a thinned down emulsion.

Emulsioning over a different texture surface, such as filler or oil-based paint splashes, can cause a different colour, usually much whiter as you describe.

I have found in many cases after a few weeks the emulsion dries properly and you can't see the difference in colours.

However, the other issue here is some of the paint bubbbles and comes off.

Is this still happening?

There seems to be no more bubbling and peeling now. What do suggest i do now? Would it be best to sand back the paint where it peeled off and put on a coat of diluted white emulsion and then paint over with the white emulsion or wait and hope it does blend after time. Also the raw edges do show up even though I did sand them slightly.

If the raw edges show, and you can't live with it, you may as well sand it down now, and fill as required, and spot prime bare plaster and filler with a thinned down emulsion.

Best to give the repaired work only a good few coats, then you may have to paint the whole wall if patching is obvious.

Using a brush instead of a roller is less likely to disturb any more 'loose' paint.

It's a PITA, isn't it?

Sponsored Links
I feel daft asking that now. I have sanded down the patches today and applied with a brush the diluted emulsion. Fingers crossed it will look better now when its finished. Thanks for the advice.

If the area is prone to bubble up again, for whatever reason, you could try some oil-based undercoat before the final coats.

This will probably show up when the emulsion is applied, but should dry out properly after a few weeks... hopefully.

Hopefully you've sorted it now, but if it does bubble up again I'd sand it all back and then seal it with Beeline or Zinsser just to make absolutely sure, and then repaint onto that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back